Re: Cowardly Pak Arm/govt at the mercy of Taliban...
It will be a disaster for Pakistan if these uneducated, uncivilized and barbaric Mullahs from the NorthWest manage to grab more power. Their vision of an Islamic System doesn't go beyond barbaric punishments for what they consider to be crimes. They have no understanding or knowledge of how to run a government, manage local and national economy and conduct foreign affairs. They don't understand the difference between "sins" and "crimes," and offer no human rights protection that rest of the civilized world has long acknowledged to be necessary such as "due process." They endorse mob justice, and their tactics create the perfect circumstances for sectarian violence and civil war.
I can understand that a lot of people in Pakistan are religiously conservative and although I don't agree with a lot of their views and opinions, I respect their right to market their ideas and support political groups that represent their wishes. What I don't understand (or rather get frustrated with) is how they refuse to perform some house cleanup and don't mind being controlled by who arguably come from the least fortunate, least civilized, least educated segments of our society: the Madrassah Generation!
What I was hoping to see this year in Pakistan was a peaceful, political and democratic "transition of powers." A stable democracy is less about having elections (fair or not) and more about "transition of powers." Unfortunately Musharraf has badly bungled that. Combined with the rise of Mullah power, I believe we are beginning to see the collapse of Jinnah's experiment.
I have no doubt in my mind that when or if a 'Mullah' government "fully" takes over in Pakistan, their draconian tactics will push us into sectarian violence followed by a full fledged civil war.