With all due respect, Alex, I think this is where there is a fundamental disconnect. Something akin to how contemporary Muslims have this irrational expectation of non-Muslims to respect their sacred figures…
a) Purchasing property for the sake of seeking a new state is outright treasonous. Whereas I understand the Ottoman empire was dissolved, and Jewish immigration to the ME picked up under the British mandate (perhaps because of European anti-Semitism?), purchasing of land with the intent to carve out a homeland began under the Ottomans. What would have happened had the Ottoman empire not fallen?
b) When we talk about self-determination and independence, we do so typically for a people who have inhabited a land and continue to do so. Whereas I understand that in the mythos (at least to us outsiders) of Israel figures large in the Jewish mindset, is it not folly to expect others to abide or respect this mythos? I mean…Israel was a thing of the past, with no real legacy beyond sacred sites.
Regardless, a and b may perhaps be moot today, but perhaps should serve as a window as to why people are/were hostile to the notion of a nation being foisted in their midst.