I dont know if this is the right place but i will go ahead anyways. I have always wanted to have like a support network type of a thing for new muslims, especially now. Everytime I meet someone who has just converted I wanna do something for them because all of them are usually facing the same problems. Like for example, rejection from family and society, harasment, basically a new life to deal with. They also feel they are not welcomed in the new community, especially in the desi communities because we are so desi.
I am just not sure how to go about it or whether it will be helpful. I was thinking online but then what about people who dont have access. MSA has tried but most people in the MSA only do things for credit and if its something they are not personally benefiting from, they wont do it. And to be honest, there is not that many people who care. Its mostly convertst who are concered because they know how it feels to be in that position.
I am just looking for some ideas. I like the whole buddy system, where u buddy up with someone you know but not all of them have someone they know. I dont know, maybe it will just die down again in my head and never get anywhere.
This is what I am talking about. I want something like this for the metro detroit area because we give them enough info and books. This would give them a chance to know other muslims up-close.
It's great that you want to do something for converts to Islam. As a convert of almost 14 years, I can tell you that what is needed the most is simply acceptance. We don't necessarily need more books and resources. Most of us (in the US) have bookshelves full, and have studied Islam fairly comprehensively before converting. Out of a couple of hundred converts I know, very few of us were actually cut off by our families. Mostly they are confused by our choice, and are also looking for a way to cope with the changes in our lives. I suggest you read "Daughters of Another Path" by Carol Anway to learn more about female converts to Islam and their families.
The number one thing that we need from you is acceptance. We face far more rejection at the masjid than we ever do from our own families. We miss the closeness and organization of our churches, though we dont' miss the belief system. Most women who go back to Christianity do so because we are rejected by the muslim community. What can you do:
Invite some converts over for dinner or to talk during the day. This doesn't need to be a halaqa - some converts decide that they can't keep their old set of friends and end up really isolated.
Let us participate in halaqas and Islamic discussions. If you are an aunty, don't make stupid comments like "do you know how who the Prophet (saw) is?" Obviously we do, or we wouldn't have converted. Changing a religion isn't like changing your clothes - don't assume we did it lightly.
Attend a mixed race marriage, and don't backbite the bride.
Better yet, help a convert meet a good, practicing brother. It is incredibly difficult for a convert to find a good husband.
Educate the aunties and ignorant youth about the sunnah of marrying from outside your tribe. Don't harrass us your brother when he wants to marry a convert.
Make the masjid a welcoming place for all. Speak in a language that everyone can understand, don't whisper and point, correct those who do. Plan picnics and fun outings and try to make everyone feel included.
And, the most important thing that every "born muslim" can do for converts is:
Learn the difference between culture and Islam. Accept that Islam has room for cultural expression (look at a desi wedding), and remember that the convert has become a muslim, not a Pakistani.
It's great that you want to do something for converts to Islam. As a convert of almost 14 years, I can tell you that what is needed the most is simply acceptance. We don't necessarily need more books and resources. Most of us (in the US) have bookshelves full, and have studied Islam fairly comprehensively before converting. Out of a couple of hundred converts I know, very few of us were actually cut off by our families. Mostly they are confused by our choice, and are also looking for a way to cope with the changes in our lives. I suggest you read "Daughters of Another Path" by Carol Anway to learn more about female converts to Islam and their families.
The number one thing that we need from you is acceptance. We face far more rejection at the masjid than we ever do from our own families. We miss the closeness and organization of our churches, though we dont' miss the belief system. Most women who go back to Christianity do so because we are rejected by the muslim community. What can you do:
Invite some converts over for dinner or to talk during the day. This doesn't need to be a halaqa - some converts decide that they can't keep their old set of friends and end up really isolated.
Let us participate in halaqas and Islamic discussions. If you are an aunty, don't make stupid comments like "do you know how who the Prophet (saw) is?" Obviously we do, or we wouldn't have converted. Changing a religion isn't like changing your clothes - don't assume we did it lightly.
Attend a mixed race marriage, and don't backbite the bride.
Better yet, help a convert meet a good, practicing brother. It is incredibly difficult for a convert to find a good husband.
Educate the aunties and ignorant youth about the sunnah of marrying from outside your tribe. Don't harrass us your brother when he wants to marry a convert.
Make the masjid a welcoming place for all. Speak in a language that everyone can understand, don't whisper and point, correct those who do. Plan picnics and fun outings and try to make everyone feel included.
And, the most important thing that every "born muslim" can do for converts is:
Learn the difference between culture and Islam. Accept that Islam has room for cultural expression (look at a desi wedding), and remember that the convert has become a muslim, not a Pakistani.
amana thats exactly why I wanna do something because thats wat I keep hearing from alot of people(and I dont know hundreds, only a few) that they feel weird in pakistani gatherings. If we could change silly aunties this world would be heaven, but as far as I know everyone in my family tries their best to be friends with new muslims and we dont enforce anything culture on them. But how do we make the masjid a more welcoming place when u cant really change the people?
I like the picnic and parties idea and maybe have like an open house where people can bring other people