Bureaucrats refuse transfers to Balochistan

Things are getting worse in Balochistan, if even the usually greedy bureaucrats don’t want to go to Balochistan to make a fast buck. Couple this with a total strike in Balochistan, and we can see that the people there have rejected dictatorship of Islamabad. Musharraf will soon need to come of his high horse and talk to the leaders in Balochistan asking for rights.

http://www.dawn.com/2006/04/16/nat18.htm

Bureaucrats refuse transfers to Balochistan

By Baqir Sajjad Syed

ISLAMABAD, April 15: The government has decided to adopt carrot and stick approach following refusal by 10 senior bureaucrats to accept their transfer to the volatile Balochistan province, official sources said on Friday.

The government is planning to initiate disciplinary action against them under Removal from Service Ordinance. Establishment Division has sought prime minister’s approval in this regard.

On the other hand, a special Balochistan Incentive Package has been prepared to lure the bureaucrats into accepting assignments in the province. The package awaits approval of the Finance Division.

Under the proposed package, bureaucrats posted in Balochistan would get enhanced pay, promotion and air tickets for themselves and their family among other incentives.

In the meantime, Establishment Division has transferred another batch of BS-19 officials to Balochistan. Most of them have spent a good part of their service in Islamabad or other provinces.

These officials, it has been learnt, will be promoted to BS- 20 once the Central Selection Board meets. However, it was not clear if they would accept their transfer or defy much like those previously transferred to the province.

Balochistan is an “officer-deficient” province, a source disclosed, adding that there were some 78 District Management Group positions in the province for which officers were not available.

A senior officer, talking about the reasons why bureaucrats refuse Balochistan-based assignments, said the service culture in the province was so bad that it scared them away. There was no specific timeframe or policy as to how long an officer would remain posted there, he added.

http://www.dawn.com/2006/04/16/nat13.htm

Strike against merger of police, levies

By Our Staff Correspondent

QUETTA, April 15: A complete shutter-down strike was observed on Saturday in almost the entire province against the merger of the levies force into police and the ongoing operation in Dera Bugti and Kohlu districts.

The strike call was given by opposition parties, including the four-party Baloch Allaince Balochistan National Party, Pakistan Oppressed Nations Movement (PONM) and the Alliance for Restoration of Democracy (ARD). Trade Organisations also supported the strike call.

Shops, markets and business establishments remained closed in Quetta throughout the day.

Though their was no restriction on the movement of traffic during the strike but traffic remained thin in city areas as people preferred to stay indoors. Poor attendance was observed in government offices.

Re: Bureaucrats refuse transfers to Balochistan

The current govt policy of trying to bash the Balochi's to oblivion is driving the Balochis to even greater resistance, and harming Pakistan to no end.

Re: Bureaucrats refuse transfers to Balochistan

True there needs to be a change in the way the army and ruling elite is looking at this issue. There are many sardars loyal to the establishment. but I don't see any blame put on them, just the marris or bugtis. I think provincial autonomy would be a welcomed step, if the Baluch people know theres a sincere desire from Islamabad (I doubt there is one), then changes will happen.