British band dubbed Indian, denied permission to hold concert

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/mar2002-daily/11-03-2002/metro/k2.htm

British band dubbed Indian, denied permission to hold concert

Musical evening aborted

By Jaffer Rizvi

KARACHI: Large contingents of police besieged the Hockey Club of Pakistan Stadium at least six hours prior to a musical evening featuring ‘Stereo Nation’–a popular British band–and stopped the final arrangements which, in turn, halted the proposed show, one of the organisers alleged on Sunday.

The organisers claimed they had permissions from every conceivable relevant authority while the police hierarchy claimed they were not contacted or informed so that they could take the required security measures. A witness said, “Just before the concert was about to start, the police locked all entrances to the venue and those who were inside were closeted in while those outside were denied entry.”

One of the organisers said that they had obtained permission from the CEO of Clifton Cantonment Board and the Corps Commander, Corpse V, offices for holding the programme. “But we don’t know why the huge contingents landed there and stopped us most aggressively from holding the show. They also locked out all the entrances aborting our programme for which we had legally obtained permission,” said a member of the organising committee.

They said that they were not violating any law or regulation. “First the police forced the crowd to disperse, categorically saying the show cannot be held, and then after hours of confusion all of a sudden they allowed us to continue with the show. But then, it was already too late as most of the music enthusiasts had left.”

A hand-out issued by the organisers of the concert stated: “Lips Events expresses its dismay at the cancellation of their mega concert being held at the Hockey Club of Pakistan just one hour prior to the opening of the gates. The concert featured the British band “Stereo Nation”. This concert was part of an on-going series of events being held under the theme of “Pehle Pakistan–Come Together”. A comprehensive advertising campaign had been launched at least three weeks prior to the event in the print media. Those who have purchased tickets are advised to hold on to them and the management will issue a statement in a couple of days,” it concluded.

The News managed to obtain a letter, signed by Shahbaz Kaifi, Director, Marketing, Pakistan Hockey Federation, in this connection. It said: "In response to your fax message, dated February 27, 2002, asking for the booking of Hockey Club of Pakistan Stadium, Karachi, on March 10, 2002 as to organise a commercial musical concert with non-Indian national performers, we hereby accord approval to use our premises for the above said concert @ Rs 500,000.00 to be charged in advance on March 2, 2002 as per agreement. However, Pakistan Hockey Federation would require adequate assurance for security of the stadium against any likely damages and to preserve the Astroturf.

Besides all other necessary arrangements required in lieu of organisation, the show will be solely your responsibility…" When contacted on the phone Kaifi said he has no clue whatsoever to what happened, and the administration of PHF should be contacted. The DIG Operations, Capital City Police, Tariq Jamil, however, had his own version of the incident: “We had allowed them to go ahead at 6:00pm, before the programme was scheduled to begin and if they were now not holding it, it’s up to them,” Jamil stated, adding, "they did not inform us promptly. They submitted a letter of CEO Clifton Cantt Board to my office on Saturday. It was a very short notice. The group were of Indian origin, even though some of the members were blonde.

“They were about to render Indian numbers for which they did not have prior permission. Since it was anticipated that the show would pull a crowd of around 50,000 people, there could have been a law and order situation. Given the already tense regional and global situation, we could not have taken any risk. That’s why we intervened,” Jamil added.

“They even did not have permission from the Town or City Nazims and we have been ordered by the City Nazim, Naimatullah Khan, not to allow anyone to hold such programme without adequate security measures,” Jamil said. “They were just having an NOC issued by the CEO of Clifton Cantonment Board and it was an NOC, not a permission. We would be the competent authority to issue permissions,” he said.

“The letter of the CEO also contained a line, “subject to the condition that no gate money will be realised” but they were selling the tickets for their commercial programme,” the DIG added. “I would say that they did not cooperate with us fully. Therefore, we had to intervene,” Jamil added. “Despite these risks, we allowed them to go ahead at around 6:00pm and issued a green signal to them that they could hold the programme. But if they did not hold it, what could we do?” Tariq Jamil concluded.

So durango bhai, have you ever taken time to write your own opinion on the topics you post or just like copying and pasting on gupshup.


Why am I NOT surprised!!!

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/rolleyes.gif


May The Madness Be Upon You!!!

This is ridiculous. Our artists go to India all the time to perform and I dont think I've ever heard of a time when Pakistani artists were embarassed like THAT.

Our Paki government needs to grow up!