any programmers here

Well I don’t have formal computer training.

problem is when I am writing some thing and its too long, i lose track over and over.
I do use white board.. but still.

Like we have small brains(we do? or its just me?)
And we can hold so much info at one time.

how you manage to write a program which has so many different parts?

Re: any programmers here

**Write comments as much as possible
**

Re: any programmers here

**Other then that … create “functions” effectively …
**

Re: any programmers here

When i used to code, there would be more comments than actual code. :bummer:

Re: any programmers here

comments r v useful

Re: any programmers here

Children.

You did not get my point.
Ok, I give you an example.

Once I wanted to make some thing very use full. I make every single part work. BUT when I tried to put it together it use to to get complicated.
On the top, when I had to pay attention to some thing else, then I would come back to the code. I had to reteach my self each time from start.

Re: any programmers here

burhape ki nishani kimble:hinna:

Re: any programmers here

yeah so,
you want me to stop working just because of old age :hinna:

I’d say first you logically divide the programs into smaller pieces. Then you develop it one piece at a time. Write plenty of comments so you know what’s going on. Test and debug often.

I’m also working on certain personal software projects. As long as I can organize everything properly, even if I leave it for a few months, I can come back and pick up where I left off.

Re: any programmers here

do ur paper work 1st: pseudo code / algos

Re: any programmers here

no.

how is that done?

Fat-S

Thanks..

Re: any programmers here

The process of managing software development is called Software Engineering . If it is a bigger project with different components then I’ll suggest that you should use Software Engineering tools to manage it .

A strong design guarantees a good and solid software . First start with UML diagram , divide it into Classes and Functions . Program each component at one time and don’t try to hurry through it unless you have a bigger team to work with . Before you start programming make sure you have a mental map that how you will go through it .

Programming is a creative work . At least for me I can’t do it with any distraction . No music no noise . You’ll be surprise to see that with only 30 mins of concentrated programming you can make so much progress .

and yea , get some formal education . Buy some good books about programming and read them through . It will help you a lot .

Re: any programmers here

hmmmm

thanks naman. I always saw UML book in chapters. And I am always like “who reads those”
Now I know who :smiley:

I will get one of those. I desperately need it.
I will also look for those tools for linux too, :hmmm:
I don’t want stuff to go waist any more.

Re: any programmers here

You need to put together a mathematical model on a white board first (in that old school flow chart format). Without that, you can never write a long program.

Re: any programmers here

Thats is the thing boss, white board can hold only up to one function. that too when I start changing things quickly to resolve some things, or to see what will work, I lose track even on white board. :frowning:

I did write this whole program in c, which use to open sockets and run process on different machines, and bing back all process related info to central location, making remote process work like local processes.

But it got long, and every single time I was taken away for in, I need a looooooooonggggggggggggg time to feed all the info to my head again.

Now I am working on some stuff too, but I want to keep what I do.

Re: any programmers here

I agree with Namaan’s suggestions… good documentation goes a long way in software development projects. I’m a staunch believer in spending more time in the requirements and lo-fi prototyping phases of software engineering. If you document effectively in these phases, you can pretty much approach the development tasks in a more organized fashion.
UML is a great tool to do what I’ve said, and much… much more. I only know very basic UML but use it regularly to document use cases, DFDs, sequence diagrams, and ERDs. Other than this, using version management software suites also helps keep track of the project during its various stages.

Re: any programmers here

wow, I always wanted to work wit cvs stuff.

I am going get a book about UML next week.

:eek: i always hated the flow chart