...An Outstanding Leader...

To give a little background, I work in Information System department of a regional bank, which was acquired by CapitalOne last year. Obviously some position were going to be eliminated due to the merger, including mine. But this is not about me, this is about the director of our department, Mike, A great person. Although I’ve known him only for about a year, he doesn’t act like he’s the director, a very friendly yet very serious about his work person. All of his direct report love him.

Today he held a meeting and the whole department attended it. I was talking to him before the meeting started and he was kind of serious, not as jolly as he usually is. In the meeting he announced the date when he’s leaving the company as his position is being eliminated. He was thanking all of us for our work and wishing us luck, repeating old stories, as long as 10 years old. At the end of the meeting, almost all of the chicks were crying (only about 4 guys and about 20 women). I was thinking to myself this is what a great leader is like: Someone when he/she leaves, people get upset, yet happy for having spent time with that person. That’s the kind of leader I want to be, not the kind where people praise you when you are there but curse you when you’re not.

Point of this thread: None really, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

leadership isnt just about control,
it;s about respect aswell
ur director got alot of respect

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

He most certainly does. I look up to him. He's a great friend when someone needs a friend and he's a great boss when someone needs a professional advice/help. The way he jokes around with his people and they joke around with him, you can't tell he's the director of the department of 3 states.

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

that's what u need with ur staff a camadri ( i hope i spelt tht rite)
if u cant luagh and joke, u wont b taken seriously when u have to get down to the job and have to make decisions

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

Very impressive. It does take alot of courage and some natural abilities to be friendly yet so professional at the same time. The way he gets along with different people shows the quality of this man's character.

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

^^ so tru

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

I have learned a lot from him. I silently observe the way he deals with different people. He's my role model and I look up to him. He picks so much on me though, calls me the head of Pakistani mafia, and I in return call him the head of Labanese mafia, as his parents are from there but he was born in US.

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

I like that. I had a manager who would use tick me off, but I knew he was doing it on purpose. And he knew that I knew. It is a good technique and that way you can make the employEEE interact with the employERR.
It is very effective because then you would want to get back at him/her and you knew that it was just to rise that energy level.

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

At my previous job, at a retail store, my co-workers used to tease me by calling me a middle eastern and terrorist and illegal foreigner and I used to call them white trash, or other stuff. It is fun and I think it helps you get friendly with your co-workers, rather than just mind your own business which makes a work place really boring. However, at this job, since it’s in a big multinational company, I thought people would be reserved and not joke around, but I was surprised to find people here as friendly, if not more, as on my previous job. That just makes the job fun and wants you to go to work. :k:

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

Thats is the thing that makes the workplace worth working in. I still add that little pinch of salt when I talk to my co-workers. :)

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

CHalo yaar kafi serious baatein ho gayin. Lets get funny.

I think I am a nice moderator (yes, that’s right), I should become an evil mod :dixsi:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

Is that an invitation. Lets go :hehe:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

Yes. I invite guys on fridays only, chicks all other days :blush:

Re: ...An Outstanding Leader...

Ya ok, so how is that new name: Chickna.
You seem to like it though

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

beautiful :k:
Very nicely narrated …

I am also lucky to have a similar personality as my present Boss and mentor. Although I may mention stupid things and post funny comments about the job and the boss, but the reality is that my Boss, Kevin, is a born LEADER and a really nice gentleman. He is the one who I turn to when I am in need, he never lets me down. He has also saved my ar$e on a few occasions and always told me to move on and just learn from the mistakes.

I am glad to mention that working with Kevin I have learned a lot and also grown out of my inferiority complex and the DESI MENTALITY, all due to Kevin :slight_smile: . The desi mentality is to HIDE the facts and try to put the blame on others if you are in a mess. Now I have learned that the best approach is to own it up-front, and Kevin is the man who is behind this change in thinking.

In SITUATIONS, he would act like a big brother and give you the proper dose :bailan: and then tell you to relax and he will take care of it :hug:

:chai:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

James bhai You are so right about this desi mentality thing. I think differently now as well, due to Mike. Not only him, my direct manager and my co-workers are very nice people as well. After the storm when I moved to Houston temporarily, I worked in that office in Houston, in a different department though, and I hated it. The supervisor was ON you all the times and everyone smiled when he was there, but cursed him as soon as he left. I so wanted to get back to my job, that’s why I was dying to return. I even paid extra rent, extra expenses just so I could be united with my group. It was well worth it. Bosses can have a great impact on you, positive and/or negative both. As you said, good leaders are BORN, not produced :k:

Bizz I love it man :blush: The other party thought I’ll go bizzurk but they’ll be disappointed to know that I am taking it as a compliment and want all chicks to call me chickna :blush:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

Very Nicely said. :k:

Shikra: Just wait till you get another person telling the girls not to call you that, aswell. :slight_smile:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

You mean the same person will now go against it, seeing that I like it so much? :bummer:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

You never know. What are your other options?
Nobody seem to have problems calling a guy Shakira :hmmm:

Re: …An Outstanding Leader…

I don’t mind that either :rotato: People have been calling me that ever since I joined, so. They have to come up with something that will really annoy me, and even I am not sure what that could be :hmmm: