There was a Mushaira in Toronto on the 1st celebrating Faraz’s 70th Birthday (which it turns out isn’t even in July) with Ashfaq Hussain hosting. As someone put it later, it wasn’t a very “jaandaar” evening; there weren’t many other renowned Poets present; but a Saba Sabiha from the States is worth mentioning, she was by far the best of them all.
The highlight of the night was during the intermission; when we decided to avoid the hustle bustle of desi folks queued crudely for coffee/tea and headed for the adjoining restaurant in the hotel. Seated in the lounge we ordered our coffee and a little while later, much to my delight, we were joined by Faraz himself! No, he hadn’t come to see me, he was rather eager to get to the bar. I interjected him before he got to it and got my book signed,
I stood two inches to the great Poet himself, I was rather spell-bound (well more like tongue-tied). He’s not as tall and vigorous as he used to be; and throughout the evening he kept flushing red in the face whilst he denied turning 70.. It was so cute.
He sat and got drunk about 20 feet away from us, it was an odd feeling.. someone I’ve admired so much for the most part of my life, on a drinking spree… swigging down his 5 drinks that he had (yes, I kept count) but then having seen many of his previous mushairas on video, it wasn’t something new. Muzna was there too, but I missed her.
Ah, I met Faraz, I feel so content.
aankhain hain keh khaali nahi rehtiN lahu say
aur zakhm-e-judai hay keh bhar bhi nahi jaata
paagal huway jaatay ho Faraz uss say milay kiya
itni si khushi say koi mar bhi nahi jaata
ﻰﻫ ﻲﺘﻫﺭ ﻲﺗﻭﺭ ﺶﻫﺍﻮﺧ ﻱﻮﮐ ﺪﻳﺎﺷ