Like falafel said respect is key to these sorts of relationships. If my future husband didn’t get on with my parents then I wouldn’t expect him to be best friends with them. However, I would expect him to respect them just as he would expect the same from me.
Saying that I wouldn’t make a rash decision and leave him for that sole reason…It would be a significant issue that we would have to talk over and sort out.
Hmmm interesting point and I do somewhat agree that a lot of marriages break up because people don’t have enough sabr nowadays and they are unwilling to make compromises. But being forbidden to not meet the woman who brought you up, cared for you, played an integral role in your upbringing… Surely, that’s a compromise too far?
Also, what I don’t understand is why a woman has to listen to unnecessary demands from her mother in law? I could understand if her husband forbade her to do something but what right does the MIL have to make demands like that? As far as i’m concerned I’m not marrying my MIL.