Evidence points to two likelihoods. Musharraf and the rest of the army are liars when they say they have no idea where these missing people are or that ISI/MI is not under anyone’s control.
In my opinion Mush is lying about this issue as well when he made the stupid claim that all the missing people have gone to fight jihad when all evidence points in the role of ISI/MI. Does anyone know if they teach a class in PMA Kakul about lying and fabricating stories to cover up the truth?
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\05\26\story_26-5-2007_pg7_3
5 more missing persons traced, SC told
- Court seeks affidavits g Babar submits recommendation on working of intelligence agencies
By Mohammad Kamran
ISLAMABAD: The government on Friday told the Supreme Court (SC) that 98 of 254 missing persons had been traced so far and most of the released had reached their homes.
The SC sought affidavits from the released to ascertain details of their arrests and the treatment meted out to them during detention. It also directed the government to expedite locating and recovering the remaining missing persons.
Col Javed Iqbal Lodhi of the National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) told the SC that five more missing persons were recovered after the last hearing on May 11.
He said Abdul Rehman, Qari Saifullah Akhtar, Haji Daud Mengal, Yasir Arafat and Qari Subhanallah have been traced and, except for Daud Mengal who is in Karachi police’s custody, have all returned home.
Qari Saifullah Akhtar’s counsel, advocate Hashmat Habib, told the bench that his client was released after detention of two years and nine months. Habib said that his client quoted intelligence officials as saying that if they had not picked him up, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) might have.
Deputy Attorney General (DAG) Tariq Mahmood Khokar told the bench that despite contacting an Islamic tableeghi centre in Peshawar and Lahore police were still clueless about the whereabouts of Faisal Fraz. Masud Janjua, Fraz’s companion, could also not be traced.
Masud Janjua’s mother Amina Masud told the bench that last year Maj Gen Shafqaat told her that her son was alive and in safe custody. She said this was an admission that her husband was being held by intelligence agencies. The bench directed the government to expedite efforts for his recovery.
The bench also sought a separate report from the NCMC regarding Hafiz Abdul Basit, who was handed over to army intelligence by the Punjab police. Assistant sub inspector (ASI) Iftikhar Hussain appeared before the bench and submitted evidence of the handing over of Basit to military authorities. Earlier, the government and the NCMC had submitted before the court that they knew nothing about Basit.
The bench directed the NCMC to submit a report for this case along with that of another missing person, Attiqur Rehman, a senior scientific officer at the Atomic Energy Commission.
The bench also directed the government to make arrangements for Imran Munir—facing a general court marital on charges of spying—to meet his family.
Under SC orders, former senator Farhatullah Babar placed 10 suggestions before the court for addressing the missing persons issue and streamlining agencies. The suggestions include setting up an institutional framework for controlling agencies, drafting appropriate legislation, setting up a judicial commission, laying down standard procedures for tracing missing persons, signing relevant international covenants and taking up the ISI case pending since 1997. The hearing will resume on June 6, 2007.