Re: what is time?
This topic is inspired by a topic in kids corner (cafe). I didn't feel like starting this discussion there. so here it is.
We think that time (or our perception of time) alters with an increase in velocity relative to the speed of light. So time is relative to the observer and is not a constant.
The fact you have to put so much energy into a system to alter the relative aspect of time would seem to imply that time does indeed have an energy, or at least an inertia.
The mass/time relationship is interesting. Does the enormous mass of a black hole actually alter time, or is it the intense gravity inducing matter to relativistic speeds which does this? If gravity is an aspect of mass then I suppose you could say the former. If time is only an aspect of perception however, the mass would not alter time but your perception of time would alter when in the influence of that mass.
Peace Xenophanez
Black holes can actually exist with only three times the mass of our sun, if I remember correctly. Therefore I would tend to argue that the acceleration tending towards the centre of the black holes determine the time shift.
I think space should be viewed as a fabric. Therefore the mass of an object would alter the space-time 'bending' it. Black holes on the other hand, would seem to be much less massive for the effects they exhibit. I would therefore say in their case it would seem that they have actually created a 'tear' in the fabric of space.
I also believe that time is a created entity. Coming in to existence when creation began. It needs to be inherently linked mass and energy. I also do not think that time has an energy, rather that time-space-energy are a continuum, matter being the latent form of energy.
I think you have a somewhat valid point when you mention that time may be just an aspect of perception. Perhaps this can be elaborated slightly. To call up the relativistic model of time. That there are layers of 'perceived' time each which are true within their own parameters, but nested within other layers could affect the overall 'perception' ... for example this idea suggests that it is possible to live a lifetime in a moment.
Peace again ... good question.