Re: The Characteristics of Objectivity
True! I was focused on the subject/object parts of the terms thats all.
Those can be properties of objectivity but not definitions of it. Some subjective truths are also verifiable.. I think the distinction lies at the
‘reasoner’ not the reasoning!
Thats what it is. Galileo was pressured to give up saying that the Earth moved around the Sun. He is said to have muttered under his breath, after renouncing.. “But it still moves”.
I think so. I think the ideal of objective reality is achieved when nobody in particular is watching. Thus we can try to be nobody in particular when watching in order to be objective.
I think that love is the quintessential example of what subjectivity* is. There is no objective reason for why someone is loved… it is ridiculous to say of someone you love them because they’re pretty, friendly, understanding etc.. it implies that if someone with more of those attributes came along then you’d be rationally compelled to abandon your loved one for the new party. When you love someone they define those terms for you, she is what it means to be beautiful. They become the prism through which you see things, the paradigm of your world. Your sensor would be saying shes ugly you’d be seeing beautiful.
- Im influenced in this post almost entirely by a recent bookIm reading on this topic