Possibly, 20,000 killed in Iran earthquake

Some hopeful news…

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=477393

Survivors found six days after quake

A man was rescued from the rubble of a building in Bam yesterday, six days after the earthquake which devastated the Iranian city. Yadollah Saadat, 27, survived after apparently being trapped behind a fallen wardrobe, which protected him from falling masonry. He was able to mumble his name to Red Crescent rescue workers, who were astonished to find him alive near the bodies of six relatives. Mr Saadat’s wife had returned from hospital to pick through the rubble of their home in search of his body. Many rescue teams have already given up the search for survivors, convinced that the scale of the damage, the time elapsed since the earthquake and the cold weather rules out the possibility of finding anyone alive. The British team returned home on Tuesday after failing to find any survivors. The Iranian Red Crescent Society has been begging them to stay, claiming that survivors can be found up to 10 days later. Jalil Tabatabaei, a co-ordinator of the international rescue teams for the Red Crescent, said: “I want international rescue teams to remain in Bam for 10 days after the earthquake. I have been in every major quake for the past 24 years and I know there is still hope.” He also said that if teams decided to leave, he would appreciate the use of their specialised equipment to continue rescue efforts.

As the international search and rescue teams leave the city an increasing number of stories have begun to circulate of survivors being pulled from collapsed buildings. Although some of the cases, such as the man found yesterday, have been confirmed, UN officials say reports of apparently miraculous rescues should be treated with caution. Up to 50,000 people died in the earthquake, which struck Bam at 5.30am on Boxing Day. Nearly 30,000 bodies have already been buried in Bam’s cemetery but rubble still covers large parts of the city. State radio said yesterday that a nine-year-old girl had been found alive. A 40-year-old man was also reported to have been found and 16 survivors were said to have been rescued on Tuesday and Wednesday. One of them was said to be an 80-year-old deaf and blind woman who is thought to have been in a cellar when the quake struck; another was a six-year-old girl who was sheltered by a cupboard. A baby girl was rescued on Monday from the arms of her dead mother. Officials say that some rumours may have been spread by hopeful people who badly wanted to believe them.

Salam to everyone. Please ACT NOW by going online and donating. Jazakallah Khayre. (www.islamicrelief.com)


ISLAMIC RELIEF APPEAL FOR IRAN EARTHQUAKE

Iranians clear rubble on their street in Bam.
Photo: REUTERS
A devastating earthquake struck the Iranian city of Bam on Friday 26 December in the early hours of the morning.

Measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale, the earthquake killed at least 25,000 people and injured thousands more. Many bodies still lie buried under the rubble.

Humanitarian disaster
The most deadly earthquake the world has seen this decade struck in the Kerman district in south-east Iran.

Entire families were crushed to death in their beds. The authorities in Bam have been digging mass graves to bury the dead as quickly as possible.

At least 90% of the buildings in Bam have been reduced to rubble or badly damaged.

Two of the city’s main hospitals also collapsed, killing or wounding staff and patients, and leaving the remaining hospitals overwhelmed by the numbers of injured.

Survivors
Hopes of finding people still alive under the rubble have now faded. As the search and rescue teams pack up to leave the focus now turns to the survivors.
Around 100,000 people are homeless, sleeping out in the open through freezing winter nights. Temperatures can reach as low as -6 C (21F). The main priority now is to provide food, clean water and shelter for the earthquake survivors.
The government of Iran has asked for urgent international assistance, describing the situation as “too big a tragedy” for the country to cope alone.

Islamic Relief Emergency Response
Islamic Relief has despatched an Emergency Response Team to Iran, consisting of staff from its Iraq and Jordan offices. The team is travelling from Baghdad and Amman to Bam, with a massive convoy of humanitarian aid.

Aid items include tents, blankets, cooking stoves and equipment, sleeping mats, kerosene lanterns and hygiene kits and other basic necessities.
The Emergency Department has been working with the Iranian embassies to coordinate a swift response. CAFOD, a UK-based charity, has pledged £100,000 towards Islamic Relief’s emergency relief work.

Urgent appeal
Islamic Relief needs your support to help the thousands who have been affected by this disaster. Donate now to the Iran Earthquake Appeal to ensure that desperately needed food, shelter and medicine reaches the stricken people as quickly as possible.

Donate to the Iran Earthquake Appeal Online

To donate by phone please call one of the following numbers:

UK : + 44 121 622 0622
USA : +1 818 238 95 20
France : +33 149 171717
Germany : + 49 221 722 0799
Holland : + 31 206 160 022
Belgium : + 32 22 198 184
Switzerland : +41 227 320 273
Italy : + 39 34 703 41183
Worldwide: +44 121 622 0622

A true miracle…woman in her 90’s pulled out alive after 8 days under the earthquake rubble.

[thumb=E]_39698135_survivor203i2327_9306072.JPG[/thumb]

‘Miracle rescue’ from Iran quake](BBC NEWS | Middle East | 'Miracle rescue' from Iran quake)

Imagine.

I can't imagine.

I can only think about the grief.

Unimaginable.

Undeserved saddness and loss.

Catastophic loss.

To Iran.

Earth.

Mothers and Fathers.

Sisters and Brothers.

Life.