Re: Musharraf asks for British help with Benazir death probe
Opp rejects Musharraf’s address
ISLAMABAD: The opposition parties on Wednesday termed Pervez Musharraf’s televised address to nation yet another confession of failure by the president and demanded his resignation.
Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) however rejected assistance of Scotland Yards in investigation into its Chairwoman Benazir Bhutto’s assassination but chose not to react to the army deployment in Sindh to maintain law and order. “We have already rejected investigation by Scotland Yards as the regime had already declined Bhutto’s request of investigation of October 18 Karachi incident. Now, we want investigation only under the United Nations Commission,” said PPP central finance secretary Dr Babar Awan.
He said that had the regime accepted Bhutto’s demand of investigation of Karachi incident by Scotland Yards, her assassination could have been avoided. He said that PPP would make no comment on deployment of army troops until the government did so.
PML-Nawaz (PML-N) information secretary Ahsan Iqbal rejected President Musharraf’s address as yet another address of his failures. “No one knows how many more addresses of failure he will be delivering to this nation,” he questioned.
Iqbal said that instead of deploying army and Rangers in the country’s various parts especially Sindh, Musharraf’s resignation would bring in calm and tranquility. Liaquat Baloch of Jamaat-e-Islami said that the president’s address was another disappointment for the nation as well as a confession of failure by General Musharraf.
He said that President should accept his failure on poor law and order because he had been at the helm of affairs for the last seven years. When asked about seeking assistance of Scotland Yards in Bhutto killing probe, he said that it was appropriate that PPP give its reaction. staff report
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008\01\03\story_3-1-2008_pg7_16