Lofts

I definitely agree. Now that I am into them, I see just about every urban comedy/romance movie featuring lofts. As for the privacy issue, I can see that but some of the lofts have separate, enclosed sleeping areas, where I am guessing that some level of privacy can be maintained.

If I were to buy, I would probably ask my real estate friend for assistance, he’s pretty sharp. Already mentioned things like buying in a mostly owner occupied building, projects that are being built by quality builders/developers, and trying to get some good deals on tax abatements etc.

The only negative I see is the locations. Most of the lofts in my area are in old industrial sections of cities, not exactly in the downtown, near work. Safety is somewhat of a concern especially since these areas are pretty desolate.

I’m considering a summer rental option where I can live in one for a few months, see the good and the bad and then make a decision to buy. Many of the owners/developers are pretty desperate, so can come up with a tailor made living arrangement.