Allowing criminals to work at the White House is unacceptable especially when national security is threatened…
Justice Dept. Starts Inquiry on Leak of C.I.A. Officer’s Identity
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 30, 2003
ASHINGTON (AP) – The Justice Department launched a full-blown criminal investigation into who leaked the name of a CIA officer, and President Bush directed his White House staff on Tuesday to cooperate fully.
The White House staff was notified of the investigation by e-mail after the Justice Department decided late Monday to move from a preliminary investigation into a full probe.
The White House staff was directed to preserve all materials that might be related to the investigation, said presidential spokesman Scott McClellan. Presumably that would include telephone logs, e-mails, notes and other documents.
“The president has directed the White House to cooperate fully with this investigation,” McClellan told reporters. “The president wants to get to the bottom of this.”
Senior staff members were told of the investigation at their morning staff meeting, and then White House counsel Alberto Gonzales sent an e-mail to all the staff notifying them of the probe.
Even before the Justice Department investigation was announced, Democrats were calling for the appointment of a special counsel to insure impartiality. McClellan said the decision rests with the Justice Department.
The department notified Gonzales about 8:30 p.m. Monday that it was launching an investigation but said he could wait until the next morning to notify staff and direct them to preserve relevant material, McClellan said.
The investigation stems from a CIA complaint two months ago that one of its agent’s identities had been disclosed. Justice gets about 50 such complaints from the CIA each year about the leak of classified information and very few of them ever get beyond a preliminary investigation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/national/30WIRE-JUST.html?hp