Desi Parties

Re: Desi Parties

As a kid I remember there was only one family we ever relaly visited, and they lived in NJ. I remember being very awkward and extremely shy and uncomfortable to begin with and it was exacerbated when they invited alot of families over (whereas when we invite them, it was only them, noone else). They had two daughters and a son, all close to my age, when my brother and I and them would get together it was a fun time. but as we got older, my brother had his own life, thy had theirs..I went to both of the girls' weddings, they came all the way to Toronto for my wedding day, that was very sweet of them...

There was another family we knew, but we stopped seeing them very early on because she'd make my mom feel like crap, "oh my son is this and that, my daughter is this and that" and thus my mom wud make US feel horrible for not being as good looking/skinny, do as much housework, good in school, etc like them....My parents kept a very tiny circle of ppl, and i always kinda resented them for that, maybe if i'd lived in a desi area, been around more desis/Muslims growing up, i'd've appreciated everything alot earlier in life than I already do, i'd be more "clever" coz it seems like that's what works with desis, being clever and diplomatic rather than saying the outright truth...eh..