• Show
Clear All

• Pakistan: Road Diaries (Multimedia Allowed)/Split [share the best clicks]

Originally posted by teggy View Post
    These are some personal pictures from Pakistan:

First picture of Pakistan after arriving. Allama Iqbal Intl' Airport 10PM

One a trip to Isb. Daewoo Express pit stop for lunch somewhere near Sialkot

l. : \
    that was not sialkot. that was Jehlum stop.
    So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Re: Share the best clicks..

I forgot you were on the same bus.
    Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

Originally posted by Princejall View Post
      that was not sialkot. that was Jehlum stop.
      Seriously? Am I missing something?
      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

No. I'm just messing with Princejall. Maybe it was near Jhelum, I don't recall. The pitstops are located right along motorway, and do not require going into cities.

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
          Seriously? Am I missing something?
          When You travel from Lahore to Islamabad by bus on GT road, Bus stops, on Jehlum Station only. But if You use MotorWay, then it depends upon Driver's decision, cz there are many restaurants and shops , on MotorWay. With Greenry and Fields on both sides of Motorway. One of the best thing happened to pakistan, is the MotorWay M1/ M2 from Lahore to Peshawar through Islamabad, which is considered one of the best Highways in south asia.
          So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

Originally posted by Princejall View Post
            When You travel from Lahore to Islamabad by bus on GT road, Bus stops, on Jehlum Station only. But if You use MotorWay, then it depends upon Driver's decision, cz there are many restaurants and shops , on MotorWay. With Greenry and Fields on both sides of Motorway. One of the best thing happened to pakistan, is the MotorWay M1/ M2 from Lahore to Peshawar through Islamabad, which is considered one of the best Highways in south asia.
            Traveling on GT Road is more fun IMO. Especially if you're the kind of traveler that likes to immerse yourself and see it all upclose. I had the most fun when the same bus ride (different company) back from Islamabad to Lahore took nearly 8 hours, but it was fun stopping places, and seeing and interacting with people from all walks of life. Very humbling experience for sure.

For fun/adventure: GT Road travel wins.
            Fun Comfort: Motorway, without a doubt.

Comment

re: Pakistan: Road Diaries (Multimedia Allowed)/Split [share the best clicks]

Moderator's Note:
              Posts moved to new topic to keep the other one separate, and specific.

Comment

Re: Pakistan: Road Diaries (Multimedia Allowed)/Split [share the best clicks]

Why does it say multimedia allowed?
                We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

So pictures, videos can be shared particular to Pakistan-specific.

Comment

Dates are sort of blurry at this point because it has been well over 10 years since I last visited, so please pardon the lack of dates. Though I will state times as best as I can recall. Enjoy.

One of my cousins was always busy minding family business to hang out, or go places. But I was able to convince my uncle to let him go play for a while. He's the closest to my age from my cousins. So we decided out of the blue one night that we'd go up to Murree. I was already in Lahore. He had to come to Lahore from somewhere else. So, I asked him to be at Badami Bagh bus stand, Lahore at the earliest time in the morning so we can catch the first batch of buses leaving for Islamabad and maximize the day.

*Badami Bagh bus stand is perhaps one of the oldest bus stands in Lahore that I can remember. This is where all buses which take GT Road to head north leave from, as well as those buses which go other far reaches of Pakistan such as Sadiqabad, and Karachi. Badami Bagh is the area adjacent to Minar-e-Pakistan and Badshahi Masjid. Needless to say it's a historic bus stand, in one of the most historic parts of the city of Lahore.*

So, my cousin arrived at Badami Bagh near 6:30am. I inquired if he had breakfast yet, because I had not. He had not either, but we decided to get a feel for the bus schedule so that we'd have an idea of how much time we have so we can have breakfast with ease. We walked in the direction of the buses that were labeled Islamabad/Rawalpindi. Upon inquiring, it turned out the earliest next bus would not leave for an hour to hour and half. That was a little too long especially because traveling GT Road, the bus would not arrive for 6-8 hours. So we opted to look at Motorway route options. Daewoo was considered, but I had traveled it a few times already and wanted to try another transport company. He suggested Niazi Express. I agreed, and we went to Niazi Bus terminal which is located on Bannd Road.

*Bannd Road lies near the M2 motorway's Sadequain Interchange, which is perhaps the first interchange that feeds traffic directly into city of Lahore when traveling from Islamabad towards Lahore. Bannd Road is home to a vast majority of other reputable Bus companies. The buses are newer, very comfortable, air-conditioned, and mainly travel via Motorway. Bannd Road is the alternative one stop for all bus choices for those who are not traveling Daewoo, and want to avoid travel via GT Road*

We arrived at Bannd Road, and headed over to the Niazi Express Bus Stand. This would be a time when I would make myself look like a fool because a friend of mine had told me "When you travel long route, make sure you ask the booking agent that you want to travel on the Nishi bus". So i was intrigued, and repeated the same thing to my cousin. He started laughing. I did not know what the source of the humor was, so I asked him. He said "Nishi" are japanese imported buses, they sit higher, but are old, that's all. No other special difference. Oh my red face!

As we walked over to Niazi Express booking agents' windows, we had to look for the booth serving Islamabad/Rawalpindi. It was found very easily among the long row of other cities the bus company serves. We booked ourselves on the next Islambad route bus. IIRC, the ticket cost us 800-1000 rupees each. I could be mistaken, but I remember it was not much. Daewoo Express can cost up to 2000 Rupees one way. The waiting lounge is quite roomy and comfortable, and allows for waiting in comfort while waiting for the bus to become ready to depart. Usually 20 minutes before departure you will be made aware to make your way out to the bus. Because we, and by that I mean me, were so eager to explore around. We opted to just hang around outside. Still had not eaten anything, so got some snacks to hold us off until our bus made a pit stop to have a proper meal, most likely a brunch. We explored some of the other bus companies that departed there, and discussed just ordinary things at length. Made pre-emptive plans to have a more solid plan when we can all (all family members) go on a sightseeing tour across the country. Lo and Behold, the time had come to head back to the bus. We arrived back at the Niazi Bus terminal where our bus had already arrived awaiting passengers. So we loaded our luggage in the luggage compartment and made our way to our seats. The bus was new, and comfortable. The Air Conditioning was on thankfully because if you have been to Pakistan around August/September, those are still some of the hottest months by comparison to where I was going from. The bus departed on time at 8:00AM. Our travel time would be 4.5 hours via Motorway with one or two 15 minute Food and Bio Break stops. The first stop happened 2.5 hours in the journey near Kallar Kahar. The bus rest area features a nice bunch of restaurants and other shops. Everyone got to stretch their legs, some ate, some smoked, some just sat out in the shade looking around, my cousin went on a bio break while I went over to buy some chilled Red Bulls to charge us up because waking up at 5am is no fun when you have gone to sleep at 2am.

Our bus journey resumed after 15 minutes. I do not recall if we had another stop again. Our first stop just before entering Islamabad was the Motorway Chowk near Kashmir Highway where some passengers disembarked. The bus resumed its' journey to Niazi Express bus terminal in Islamabad.

After 4 hour and some minutes, we had arrived in Islamabad.

Impressions: Motorway travel is for those of us who like it quiet, and comfortable. It's perfect for the travel sleepers. Come prepared with reading material and/or own snacks because it may be a while before bus stops for food or other breaks. Also come ready to endure having to sit for up to 2 hours, unless it's an emergency. I had a good experience traveling with Niazi Express bus services. The driver was disciplined, and observed the road very well, the bus was comfortable, and the journey as a whole was pleasant. The bus fare is competitive with other choices.

------- More to come later ------ Journey will continue forward towards Murree, Peshawar---------

This is our bus which took from Lahore to Islamabad. The bus operator is Niazi Express located on Bannd Road, Lahore. Apologies for the quality of picture.
                    Last edited by teggy; Sep 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I must stress one point, which will help to provide context as more travelogue bits are shared. I was a complete traveloholic. A week would hardly pass before I would have gone somewhere just for the sake of traveling and sightseeing. On my very first visit to Islamabad, or so I thought I was going to Islamabad using Daewoo Express, I befriended a cab driver who would become the primary source of transportation from Islamabad onwards to wherever. Daewoo Express buses that leave Lahore for Islamabad, typically come to stop at Rawalpindi Terminal, where passengers disembark and take a mini bus onwards to Islamabad. I had not known this; upon arriving in Rawalpindi and finding out that I would need to wait for and take another bus toward Islamabad, I opted to just get a cab instead. It was a luck of the draw really how I would become acquainted with brother Aamir. I Walked up to a cab, and asked the brother if he'd be willing to go to Islamabad. He agreed, we discussed fare (200 rupees), I agreed and on we went. The cab ride was full of conversation. I asked for his contact info in case I am in the city again, and would like to use his cab again. He obliged. Needless to say, he became the default point of contact; sometimes even before I had left Lahore so that he'd be available at the time of arrival.

The brother's name was Aamir. I say he is a generous man because in the Earthquakes of 2005, he was active in his neighborhood in getting together supplies by the truckload and even using his own vehicle to transport them to the effectees in Balakot.

**I later revisited Balakot with him while the rescue teams were still in the process of recovering the town. More on that in the coming days/weeks**

Comment

Thanks Teggy, these road diaries are awesome.. plz keep it coming

Comment

Why does it say multimedia allowed?
                          Regarding "Travel & Tourism" section? When its about sightseeing then picture are most important. what do you think? [MENTION=64730]SID_NY[/MENTION]
                          Formal & Bridal Dresses at http://DeemasFashion.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ssali View Post
                            Regarding "Travel & Tourism" section? When its about sightseeing then picture are most important. what do you think? @SID_NY
                            Totally agreed. Luckily we've our seniors working to improve the features so I'm sure this forum will shine shortly

Comment

Totally agreed. Luckily we've our seniors working to improve the features so I'm sure this forum will shine shortly
                              Best of luck for team working on GS forum.
                              Formal & Bridal Dresses at http://DeemasFashion.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X