Mehr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mehr

As a Muslim woman, what are the things I can ask my husband in Mehr that is not money or anything that money can buy. I was thinking of either memorizing a Surah or the Quran? I?m not sure if I can ask for a Quran. I?d really appreciate if anyone can help me regarding this, thank you.

Holy lub your nick OP. Yummy.

To the topic: Why would you do that? Mehr is your right. Get it and save it for future, may be for your honay walay children. How about asking him to be a good husband a great father, the way you want him to?

Ok holy here sounds like bobz so scratch it may be.
    My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
    "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

No point in asking for anything because you don't get it anyways lol
      Hamain maat dhondna duniya ki bheed main... Hum milein ge tumhain tumhari parchayi main

Comment

• LP
        LP commented
        Editing a comment
        The husband is obliged to pay the bride her Mahr. Allah Most High says:

“Give them (women) their dowers.” (Surah al-Nisa, 24)

And:

“And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift.” (al-Nisa, 4)

The reason I’m asking this question is because the other 2 girls who recently got married in the family asked for $500 (or their father did lol) but I personally don’t want to ask for anything. However, if it’s required I’d ask for something religious as a matter of fact.

Comment

Last edited by SindSagar; 2 days ago.
        Balaghal-ula bi-kamaalihi / Kashafad-duja bi-jamaalihi / Hasunat jameeu khisaalihi / Sallu alaihi wa aalihi

Comment

Originally posted by Foodieforlife10 View Post
          The reason I?m asking this question is because the other 2 girls who recently got married in the family asked for $500 (or their father did lol) but I personally don?t want to ask for anything. However, if it?s required I?d ask for something religious as a matter of fact.
          As per Sahi Bukhari Hadith 979 when a man wanted to marry a woman who had offered herself to Prophet SAW and he did not accept her then another man proposed but he had absolutely no money but had memorised some of the Quran so Prophet asked him to teach her some quran in Mahar so the deduction is a husband can teach something useful to his wife like a skill that adds value to her life.
          Last edited by Bobby1; 1 week ago.

Comment

I see a lot of trends nowadays where women are asking their potential spouses to memorize a Surah from the Quran. Although commendable, we shouldn't lose sight of the original wisdom and foundation for Mehr. Part of its basis is to benefit the woman in this world. Sort of like a gift plus security deposit. This is to ensure a safety net in case of any financial crisis or marital problems (Allah forbid). Save the $ for your education, your kids, your personal investments. Nothing shameful in Mehr. Nothing to be embarrassed of. It is your right. If you still want a Surah memorized by him, ask him to help you in its memorization too, so that you directly gain something out of the experience. Women should use this option wisely instead of living in a fairy-tale while copying other self acclaimed pious instagrammers.

I'd also like to point out an ignorant trend where the patriarch decides mehr to be exactly what Fatima r.a was given on her wedding day. Many fail to convert that $ amount in that era to its proper equivalent in modern day, believing themselves to be repeating a sunnah and whatnot.
            "Brevity is the soul of wit." Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

Comment

• LP
              LP commented
              Editing a comment
              What is the modern equivalent of mehr Fatimi?

One of the first gifts one should give to their spouse is Quran! Whenever he/she reads from it, both of you will earn the reward from The Almighty. Also, the one that reads the Quran, it will act as your intercessor on the day of judgement.

“Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

Listen to Maulana bobz. He iz da one who nos
              My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
              "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

Thank you so much everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X