Khalid Bin Walid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khalid Bin Walid

Please share stories and anecdotes of his lifetime based on what you know. I would love to know more because I'm already so impressed.
    "Brevity is the soul of wit." Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

I read somewhere that he never lost a war and this created a feeling among the Muslims that victory would be theirs whenever he commanded the army. So Khalifa removed him from commanding the army in order to restore believers' tawakal in ALLAH..
    Last edited by Pakistani Prince; 4 weeks ago.
    So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

And in a battle, he broke 9 swords.
      So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

• Cashmere
        Cashmere commented
        Editing a comment
        That's amazing! I did not know this.

Its a good thread and I suggest we should start one thread for each of Sahaba, have a thorough discussion and then move on to next.

I know Hazrat Khalid bin waleed was given the title of 'Saif-ullah'. Does anyone know why and when?
      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

That is a good idea Sid. We can all gain some insight from the lives of Sahaba. Let's try to put factual info in bullets so that it is easier for everyone to read.

Comment

He was also accused of murdering a fellow muslim chief Malik bin Nuwayrah and marrying his wife the same night he was murdered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_ibn_Nuwayrah

Note the references are from Tabari for this story
          For a successful political movement, you need a small group of die-hard, fanatical supporters and a large, silent and supportive majority -- Gandhi

Comment

• Cashmere
            Cashmere commented
            Editing a comment
            Spammers.. as expected
            Admins please remove this leech.

• Ajju
            Ajju commented
            Editing a comment
            PP, please read the link you posted yourself. Khalid bin Walid was indeed accused and the accusers were Sahabis like Abu Qatada and Hazrat Umar.

From the link you posted "Khaalid took her and had intercourse with her as a concubine because she was a prisoner, and there is no ‘iddah in the case of a prisoner"

• kchughtai
            kchughtai commented
            Editing a comment
            Anything quoted by Tabari should be double checked. Many outrageous and false stuff has been quoted by him

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
          Its a good thread and I suggest we should start one thread for each of Sahaba, have a thorough discussion and then move on to next.

I know Hazrat Khalid bin waleed was given the title of 'Saif-ullah'. Does anyone know why and when?
          He was given the title of Saifullah (sword of Allah) because he never lost a battle. He was born into Banu Makhzoom - a tribe known for its excellent war equipment. He must have had exposure to warfare techniques. However, the tactics he used to win wars were so complex that they require extensive, detailed study of warfare (i.e not guesswork). Allah enlightened him of the unknown which points to his title Saifullah. Game of Thrones used some of these tactics but that's an entirely different tangent.

Mu'tah Battle took place shortly after he converted to Islam. He was a soldier in this battle. Three commanders were consecutively appointed, each as a replacement for the prior in case of death during battle.
          1. Zayed Bin Haritha
          2. Jafar Bin Abi Talib
          3. Abdullah Bin Rawahah

All three leaders were martyred in battlefield. Khalid Bin Walid was declared commander and he took on the role of leadership.

He passed away in Syria due to disease but I heard it was due to a plaque (similar to black death) that spread throughout Syria and nearby lands. Before passing away, he was extremely saddened to know he would die in bed, just like an ordinary civilian. He wanted what we call "poetic justice" in literature - to die doing what you spent your life doing. On the battlefield. Fighting. But certainly Allah is the best of planners and the sword only gets put away into its scabbard by the owner when its purpose is accomplished - An enemy in the battlefield could not have overtaken Saifullah.

Comment

Khalid Bin Walid had light complexion
            Tall, muscular build; a physique like Umar Bin Khattab

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post
              I read somewhere that he never lost a war and this created a feeling among the Muslims that victory would be theirs whenever he commanded the army. So Khalifa removed him from commanding the army in order to restore believers' tawakal on ALLAH..
              Although some would criticise the Caliph for removing Khalid Bin Walid from command and letting him serve as an ordinary soldier, it was necessary for the reason you mentioned above. To restore believers' tawakkal in their Lord. I also heard there were differences between the Caliph and Khalid Bin Walid because both were strong willed and strict. Previously, Caliph Abu Bakr and Khalid Bin Walid (as a commander) were a good match because their personalities complemented one another i.e soft + harsh to create a balance.

Let's also emphasize Khalid Bin Walid's attitude, manners and love for the army (i.e ikhlaas) did not change even after demotion from leadership to soldier hood. Leader or not, their mutual purpose remained one and the same.

Comment

The poet Ash'as who praised him after sacking Marash and he was given 10,000 dirhams!

Comment

1) Yarmouk my favorite battle - the best of Khalid (PBUH)
                  2) After Khalid (PBUH) next on my list is An-Nasir Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub aka Saladin.

We have a few Saladins in our times but its for another thread.

Comment

His famous last words were:

And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle died. May the eyes of cowards never sleep.

Khalid bin Waleed always wanted a martyr's death but ended up dying of natural cause at home. He was survived by his mother.
                    “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

More quotes:

I sought to be killed in a place where death is usually expected (i.e., the battlefield) but it was decreed for me to die in my bed. There is no deed of mine that gave me greater hope, after [saying] la ilaaha ill-Allah, than a night that I spent with a shield in my hand and it rained until morning, in preparation for raiding the kuffaar. If I die, then look at my weapons and my horse, and give them (for jihad) for the sake of Allah.

It is said that at the time of his death all he had was his horse and weapons.

source: https://islamqa.info/en/144767

“Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

Working...
                      X