how do you discipline yourself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you discipline yourself

how do you discipline yourself and get back on track when you see yourself slipping away from basic Islamic duties e.g., praying the 5 obligatory prayers. Being consistent in performing the 5 prayers has been the hardest for me. The diablo always gets the best of me.

What has worked for you? Please share your tips.
    “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Just doing it! Start slow and build your way up, but stay consistent. Consistency is the key. No matter what other things you have going for you. You go out of your way to do it. Even if you hate it. That goes with ANYTHING, working out, praying, fasting, diet, studying, building a skill, no fap. As long as you aren't "addicted" to whatever that adds another layer of difficulty. Will power is like a muscle, it also needs to be exercised. If you don't exercise your will power and just let your nuffs control you it will just give you short term joy and weaken your will power. Thats why I think its ingenious for Allah to require fasting for us in our religion. It strengthens our will power and forces us to control our basic desires.

For prayer, usually people prioritize other things in their life...like for me, sometimes I get so into working out, or playing video games, or hanging out with friends that prayer falls by the way side cause those other things are more fun. But if you make a concerted effort for Allah and for your self you'll do it.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Comment

I got into a car accident yesterday. Both rear and front ended. I took it as a wake-up call that I need to get back on track with my ibadat and some other things. I had been doing fairly well and then I began getting careless the past week or so. But when I feel myself slipping, I try to self-talk myself out of it. I do eventually start feeling restless if I've strayed for too long and when that awareness kicks in, I try to make my way back. Listening to lectures, doing dhikr helps as well.
      I think that if you let me....I'd treat you like the sky
      I'd join up all your insecurities...And bundle all your flaws
      I'd create a new constellation....And search for it endlessly

Comment

Jotting down the points so far:

1. Exercise your will power, make a concerted effort.
        2. Listening to lectures
        3. Dhikr
        4. Self-talk out of it.

It should be easier, since I do get to hear "hayya ala salah, hayya ala falah" 5 times a day. I need to auto-program myself to stop what i am doing and head to the masjid or prayer mat right away. Cos the more i delay it the more my brain keeps telling me "oh i have 5 more minutes, ill get up and do wuzoo and pray"

Last edited by Sheeda Pistol; 1 week ago.
        “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

1- Asking Allah(swt) repeatedly to guide us and keep us on guidance. Asking Allah's help in being consistent with prayer /dhikr etc.

2- I heard about the two rakat solution a few weeks ago on youtube. This is a link which explains it, though the video had another example. https://onepathnetwork.com/how-to-gi...any-bad-habit/
          I'll post an excerpt :
          So the Sheikh then wrote about the ?Two Rakaat? solution in his book.
          Then a young man read the book and he called me.

He said ?Sheikh I read about your ?Two Rakaat? solution and I used to miss Fajr and it would make me so angry to miss Fajr.

He said one day, at night I sat up in my bed just alone. There?s no body in my room just like a mad man I sat up in my bed.

And I said out loud, ?By Allah, if I miss Fajr tomorrow, I will pray 100 Rakaat?.

Meaning, he will pray 50 times extra Salaah.

He said Fajr came, no alarm clock, nothing.

Iblees said, ?Get up quickly, it?s Fajr time
          There was more in the video I'd heard, it went on to tell how this man never missed fajr again.
          The two rakat solution requires consistency. I've tried it and it has worked wonders alhumdulillah.

May Allah (swt) help us all in performing our religious obligations.
          Life Is Too Short To Wake Up With Regrets.Love the people who treat you right & have compassion for the ones who don't.
          Half of a person's beauty comes from the tongue

Comment

@LP

I have seen that "two rakaat" video and the solution shared by the sheikh Making that 100 rakaah commitment requires a million dollar will power in itself. I am not sure I can do this. I like your point # 1, asking Allah for guidance. There is in fact a Quranic dua from Surah Aaal Imran: Rabbana la tuzigh quloobana ba'da idh hadaytana wa hab lana milladunka rahmah innaka antal Wahhab (Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate after you have guided us and grant us from yourself mercy. Indeed, you are the Bestower. (Al-'Imran:8))

Comment

With respect to the 5 times daily salat, the way I do it is to first know what are the timings for each salat. If I'm in a position to pray in jamat (free to go to a close by masjid) I will plan to be there for the jamat time and schedule my activities accordingly. If I happen to be attending a meeting or something, I will try to figure out where I could pray (i.e. is there a masjid close by? if not, what do I need to do to get to a nearby masjid, how long will it take). Otherwise, I'm very upfront about my duties to pray with my employer (they know from beforehand that I will need to take some amount of time off, and will have some idea about my available window). Any meetings I schedule will also have be worked around my salat times. When the time for any salat comes in, I will make concern for how to take out at least the minimal time I need to pray and try to find a place for it as well (a masjid if it is close by - using an app to find close by masajid, or a spare room or a corner that I could quickly use).
              Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

Comment

I have a prayer mat and a place in my home where it's my "prayer place". This really helps me get into prayer mode and helps me stay focused. When not at home it does get challenging but having a routine helps. Also prayer buddies or reminders from family and friends are always helpful. Alhamdulilah.

I remember in uni my friends and I had a group and you were paired with a friend. Everyday I had to call up one of my friends and remind her to pray tahajjud/fajr. This not only helped her but it helped me get up because if I didn't two people would be missing out on prayers!
                “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Comment

• Sheeda Pistol
                  Sheeda Pistol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Prayer buddies.

Yep, another idea. Hanging out with people that pray helps you stay focused on your own ibadah.

Originally posted by Illuminate View Post
                I remember in uni my friends and I had a group and you were paired with a friend. Everyday I had to call up one of my friends and remind her to pray tahajjud/fajr. This not only helped her but it helped me get up because if I didn't two people would be missing out on prayers!
                Interesting practice!
                Life Is Too Short To Wake Up With Regrets.Love the people who treat you right & have compassion for the ones who don't.
                Half of a person's beauty comes from the tongue

Comment

Captain Obvious and Illuminate thanks for sharing your routines

Comment

Originally posted by Sheeda Pistol View Post
                    how do you discipline yourself and get back on track when you see yourself slipping away from basic Islamic duties e.g., praying the 5 obligatory prayers. Being consistent in performing the 5 prayers has been the hardest for me. The diablo always gets the best of me.

What has worked for you? Please share your tips.
                    Dua Al-ḥamdu lillāh الحَمْد لله‎‎ always works for me, Al-ḥamdu lillāh الحَمْد لله‎‎ if anything that i know going to make me busy i always make dua to Allah to give me strength to pray on time and may i never miss any of my salah, like the time lf shadi after shadi, during birth of my child prayer was the biggest concern also after the birth, i knew that new born makes you busy, have seen woman that they can?t stick to prayers because of this and that, so i made dua to Allah, and Al-ḥamdu lillāh الحَمْد لله‎‎ His ehsan as always, may He accepts the salah and give me khushu khuzu in my prayer ameen

dua is the weapon of momin!
                    just make dua!
                    also read the tafseer of the ayat of surah al mao?n

Allazeena hum an salateehim sahoon

may Allah help you in performing prayer on time
                    what i would suggest you, just see the timings of prayer and don?t give a second thought and go straight to make wadu and start praying, If you know the hadith regarding fajar shaitan one! I will paste it here soon In ?āʾ Allāh (إن شاء الله‎,)
                    “The keys to the life of the heart lie in reflecting upon the Quran, being humble before Allah in secret, and leaving sins.” Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Comment

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Satan puts three knots at the back of the head of any of you if he is asleep. On every knot he reads and exhales the following words, 'The night is long, so stay asleep.' When one wakes up and remembers Allah, one knot is undone; and when one performs ablution, the second knot is undone, and when one prays the third knot is undone and one gets up energetic with a good heart in the morning; otherwise one gets up lazy and with a mischievous heart."

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ يُوسُفَ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنَا مَالِكٌ، عَنْ أَبِي الزِّنَادِ، عَنِ الأَعْرَجِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ ـ رضى الله عنه ـ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ يَعْقِدُ الشَّيْطَانُ عَلَى قَافِيَةِ رَأْسِ أَحَدِكُمْ إِذَا هُوَ نَامَ ثَلاَثَ عُقَدٍ، يَضْرِبُ كُلَّ عُقْدَةٍ عَلَيْكَ لَيْلٌ طَوِيلٌ فَارْقُدْ، فَإِنِ اسْتَيْقَظَ فَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ انْحَلَّتْ عُقْدَةٌ، فَإِنْ تَوَضَّأَ انْحَلَّتْ عُقْدَةٌ، فَإِنْ صَلَّى انْحَلَّتْ عُقْدَةٌ فَأَصْبَحَ نَشِيطًا طَيِّبَ النَّفْسِ، وَإِلاَّ أَصْبَحَ خَبِيثَ النَّفْسِ كَسْلاَنَ ‏"‏‏.‏
                      Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 1142
                      In-book reference : Book 19, Hadith 23
                      USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 2, Book 21, Hadith 243
                      (deprecated numbering scheme)
                      “The keys to the life of the heart lie in reflecting upon the Quran, being humble before Allah in secret, and leaving sins.” Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Comment

Working...
                      X