Will masturbation break my fast?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will masturbation break my fast?

I am a female. Will pleasuring myself break my fast? I need to distract myself but still girl's discharge is not in her control while guys can control. If you have sexual desires and you discharge, which you cannot control, will this break your fast?

Did you do a thorough search? The answer can be found in the link below.

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/17779

Also, why not reserve such acts for after iftar when you have broken your fast? I doubt that you're pleasuring yourself at work or even in the middle of a class. More than likely you're doing this in a private space such as in some room in your home. With that said, you actually do have more control than you think. If you were watching or reading or listening to material that was arousing, then stay away from those triggers during the fasting hours.
    In place of those activities, busy yourself in ibadat. Go do wuzu and either perform the next prayer or even nawafil prayers if they don't fall into prohibited times. Or grab a tasbeeh and recite istighfar or darood or tahleel or hamd for the next hour or so. Or, better yet, why not read a few pages from the Quran because Ramadhan is the month during which the Quran was revealed and sadly many of us don't even complete a single reading of the Quran in its entirety during the whole year If you can't recite, then you can opt for watching a lecture on Quran tafseer or on some other religious topic and thereby increase your deeni knowledge. We can't control the discharge from our loins, yes. But we do have greater control in diverting our mind, eyes, ears, and hands away from arousing thoughts and triggers and toward some other activity...one that will develop us spiritually.
    GoIndi Rain

Comment

But dont we get temptations about food & water when we get hungry & thirsty while fasting? we as humans do get these temptations no matter how much we divert our concentration. Obviously we daydream about food but that doesnt break our fast unless and until we eat something so thinking about these things wont make no difference, same goes for sexual desires too but in that our excreatory system gets all worked up which is not in girls control.

Comment

You do get temptations about food and water during your fast, but you dont act on them do you? Similarly, why would you masturbate while fasting? Masturbation is haram according to most scholars of Islam. Sexual desire is something that has been created in man and it cannot be got rid of. Getting rid of it is not something that is required of the Muslim man or woman; rather what is required of him and her is to refrain from using it in haraam ways, and to use it in the ways that Allaah has permitted. Fasting is supposed to diminish your sexual desire. There are other ways to occupy yourself in Ramadan e.g., Ibadaah, Azkaar, Recitation of Quran etc.

Abdullaah ibn Mas?ood said, "We were with the Prophet while we were young and had no wealth whatsoever. So Allaah?s Messenger said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry, because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.), and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power."

Sahih Bukhari:5066

"And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts). Except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, - for them, they are free from blame. But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors." Qur'an 23.5-7.

"And let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah enriches them of His bounty." Quran 24.33

Jugni ja varee school, Pichay pae gaye desi fool,
        Oh kehndi "only JaGGa is cool, Oh karda mere heart nu rule"
        Veer mereya oh Jugni.

Comment

Originally posted by bourjois View Post
          But dont we get temptations about food & water when we get hungry & thirsty while fasting? we as humans do get these temptations no matter how much we divert our concentration. Obviously we daydream about food but that doesnt break our fast unless and until we eat something so thinking about these things wont make no difference, same goes for sexual desires too but in that our excreatory system gets all worked up which is not in girls control.
          Yes, BOTH men AND women masturbate. And there is a debate about whether or not is halal/haram/makrooh. Yes, we get temptations for a variety of things, but I have to agree with Jagga up above. Do you lose absolute control for all your temptations?

You are soooo stuck on your excretory system that you are conveniently ignoring your own very significant role in your dilemma. Who was the one that actively stimulated that excretory system? It was you. You made that choice to dwell on arousing images in your head when you could have also chosen to redirect your thoughts elsewhere. If you were reading or watching something arousing, you could have put it away and chosen another activity. You could have have chosen to hop off your bed and go do something else. Your excretory system did not just start excreting their sexual juices on their own, out of nowhere. You were the cause or the motion that led to that effect. Masturbation is usually not just about entertaining certain images, it also tends to include some sort of physical action. Also, human being are not sooo helpless that they are unable to redirect their thoughts elsewhere. Jog your memory to the times when you were stressed about your personal life but you were still able to push those worries to the peripherals of your mind and redirect your energies to your duties at work, or toward that assignment that needs completing, etc etc.

When you daydream about all the yummy foods you wish you could break your fast with, do you remain forever stuck on those thoughts or are you able to push yourself to think about something else? Do you immediately act on those urges and break your fast or do you force yourself to wait until after iftaar?

When we think of ourselves as being too-weak, too-delicate, too-helpless, we can be doing a disservice to ourselves. It's better to push ourselves with the reminder that, yes we are strong, we can do this, that we have exercised control over our tongues and our bowel movements and our sexual urges throughout the year and throughout our lives waayyyy before Ramadan 2018. Think of all the times in your life when you have held your tongue from saying something snarky to a parent or an aunti or uncle or to a friend or coworker. Think of the times when there was no bathroom nearby and you were able to exercise control over your other excretory urges until you got to the appropriate place.

You're not as helpless or as weak as you're making yourself out to be in this thread. I am a female like you, too. And as females, we don't even have to fast the entire Ramadan because of menstruation. Men, on the other hand don't menstruate, and have it harder as they have to fast the entire month.

Change your thought-process. Don't pity yourself and think you're helpless. Don't focus on questions about whether masturbation breaks your fast. Instead ask yourself the following questions:

Did I do enough istighfar in this month?
          Did I recite enough durood this month?
          Have I even tried to silently recite tasbeeh in my heart while doing my professional work?
          Have I opened the Quran even once this Ramzan?
          Have I tried harder to perform my 5 prayers?
          Have I increased my knowledge about Islam in any way (through watching a youtube lecture, attending a dars, etc)..?
          Have I headed to the mosque to give sadaqah?
          Have I given my zakat?
          Are there any clothes in my closet that are still in good condition that I hardly wear that I throw in a bag and donate as sadaqah to the nearest masjid?
          Now that Ramadan is drawing to an end, is there any form of ibadat that I can still try to squeeze in?

These are the questions that we all should be asking ourselves this Ramadan. And when we ask ourselves these type of questions, our priorities will change and we will will ourselves to go to the bathroom to do wuzu, to reach for the tasbeeh, to reach for the Quran, to search youtube for a lecture instead of a movie. Basically we will use our time for these type of activities during the fasting hours as opposed to entertaining arousing thoughts that lead to active self-stimulation. So, Bourjois, change your thought process and focus on other questions and stop thinking of yourself as too weak. HONOR (yes, HONOR) yourself by telling yourself that you are much stronger, that you've been blessed with intellect and physical capabilities that allow you to make more superior choices.
          GoIndi Rain

Comment

Yes, masturbation breaks your fast.

Comment

Lets say you dont masturbate but I gave examples of food & water for a reason. What I meant was as long as you are thinking about those temptations & not acting upon them is fine but when we think about sexual desires they lead to discharge in a female body which is "not in our control", so will that break our fast as "just thinking" about food & water wont? What about ghusl? And lets say just thinking a bit about sex does break your fast & you have to do ghusl & all then doing ghusl seems like a never ending process to me if someone has got a high sex drive. Just like some people love food & think about it all the time but refrain from over eating.

What if thinking about it is helping me avoid masturbation & masturbation in severe times is helping me not to do haraam, then? I know maulvis say masturbation is haraam but Allah knows each individuals situation & will judge accordingly. If we go for haraam then gusa is haram too, mayoosi is haraam too, damnn everything is haraam. Should I attempt suicide now?? ohh thats is haraam too.

Comment

Originally posted by IndiGo Rain View Post

Yes, BOTH men AND women masturbate. And there is a debate about whether or not is halal/haram/makrooh. Yes, we get temptations for a variety of things, but I have to agree with Jagga up above. Do you lose absolute control for all your temptations?

You are soooo stuck on your excretory system that you are conveniently ignoring your own very significant role in your dilemma. Who was the one that actively stimulated that excretory system? It was you. You made that choice to dwell on arousing images in your head when you could have also chosen to redirect your thoughts elsewhere. If you were reading or watching something arousing, you could have put it away and chosen another activity. You could have have chosen to hop off your bed and go do something else. Your excretory system did not just start excreting their sexual juices on their own, out of nowhere. You were the cause or the motion that led to that effect. Masturbation is usually not just about entertaining certain images, it also tends to include some sort of physical action. Also, human being are not sooo helpless that they are unable to redirect their thoughts elsewhere. Jog your memory to the times when you were stressed about your personal life but you were still able to push those worries to the peripherals of your mind and redirect your energies to your duties at work, or toward that assignment that needs completing, etc etc.

When you daydream about all the yummy foods you wish you could break your fast with, do you remain forever stuck on those thoughts or are you able to push yourself to think about something else? Do you immediately act on those urges and break your fast or do you force yourself to wait until after iftaar?

When we think of ourselves as being too-weak, too-delicate, too-helpless, we can be doing a disservice to ourselves. It's better to push ourselves with the reminder that, yes we are strong, we can do this, that we have exercised control over our tongues and our bowel movements and our sexual urges throughout the year and throughout our lives waayyyy before Ramadan 2018. Think of all the times in your life when you have held your tongue from saying something snarky to a parent or an aunti or uncle or to a friend or coworker. Think of the times when there was no bathroom nearby and you were able to exercise control over your other excretory urges until you got to the appropriate place.

You're not as helpless or as weak as you're making yourself out to be in this thread. I am a female like you, too. And as females, we don't even have to fast the entire Ramadan because of menstruation. Men, on the other hand don't menstruate, and have it harder as they have to fast the entire month.

Change your thought-process. Don't pity yourself and think you're helpless. Don't focus on questions about whether masturbation breaks your fast. Instead ask yourself the following questions:

Did I do enough istighfar in this month?
                Did I recite enough durood this month?
                Have I even tried to silently recite tasbeeh in my heart while doing my professional work?
                Have I opened the Quran even once this Ramzan?
                Have I tried harder to perform my 5 prayers?
                Have I increased my knowledge about Islam in any way (through watching a youtube lecture, attending a dars, etc)..?
                Have I headed to the mosque to give sadaqah?
                Have I given my zakat?
                Are there any clothes in my closet that are still in good condition that I hardly wear that I throw in a bag and donate as sadaqah to the nearest masjid?
                Now that Ramadan is drawing to an end, is there any form of ibadat that I can still try to squeeze in?

These are the questions that we all should be asking ourselves this Ramadan. And when we ask ourselves these type of questions, our priorities will change and we will will ourselves to go to the bathroom to do wuzu, to reach for the tasbeeh, to reach for the Quran, to search youtube for a lecture instead of a movie. Basically we will use our time for these type of activities during the fasting hours as opposed to entertaining arousing thoughts that lead to active self-stimulation. So, Bourjois, change your thought process and focus on other questions and stop thinking of yourself as too weak. HONOR (yes, HONOR) yourself by telling yourself that you are much stronger, that you've been blessed with intellect and physical capabilities that allow you to make more superior choices.
                Look lady indigo rain.. saying these things are alot easier but when you are in a situation only then you understand how hard it is. I am not stuck on anything instead stating a fact that its natural whether thats our excreatory system or periods. If men dont get periods then thats not my fault, this is how Allah has designed us & its a fact that women have no control on their sexual juices. Sometimes physical action is not even involved but just thinking makes you discharge. Its not about feeling helpless, it is how it is. yes, we are too-weak, too-delicate, too-helpless at the end of the day, this is how Allah has designed us. You cant expect from a human to act all perfect all the time, we are humans & we are weak. And yes, I do all those things which you have mentioned but I am a human & an imperfect one, you need to acknowledge that miss super religious.
                And Islam is not difficult, there is always raiyayat in different situations.

Comment

IndiGo Rain if you think you come across harsh in your posts, which I have seen "few" times before too that too in a religious section then why not try to be less harsh instead of first being harsh to someone publically & then apologising through private message? You could have edited your post if you thought you came across harsh but you didnt & you chose to private message instead.

Comment

^Yes ghussa is haraam. But does Islam tell us to fixate on our angry thoughts? No. It tells us to divert our thoughts and energies elsewhere. How? We are advised that if we are standing in an angry state, we should sit down. If we are sitting, we should lie down. We should drink a glass of water. We should seek refuge with Allah from shaitan. And we are encouraged to think of the good traits in a person as opposed to dwelling on only their bad traits which are making us angry. We are even told to avoid having suspicious thoughts. The point is that your religion suggests diversion of troubling thoughts; it does not advocating fixating on them.

Let's refer back to your original post. You used the words 'pleasuring yourself' and therefore you were doing more than just thinking about arousing images in your mind. And now all of a sudden you're removing self-stimulation from the equation and you are restricting the question to only having sexual thoughts and nothing else. We all get involuntary thoughts, but we can either push those thoughts away or we can pursue them. Your question seems to be asking if it's okay to actively pursue sexual thoughts (without masturbation) and will the ensuing discharge invalidate the fadt or only require ghusal? In answer to your question, should you even be entertaining sexual thoughts during the fasting period? The answer is No. You have to make the effort to think of other, better things during the fasting period.

We do have the power to either change the course of your thoughts or to chase the same thoughts with pitbull tenacity. We are advised to say aaozubillah (several times) when we have troubling thoughts.

If let's say a sexual thought enters your mind during the fasting hours, say aaozubillah, and then try diverting yourself. Pull out your tasbeeh and recite something for the next hour or so and concentrate on the meaning of the words you are reciting. You won't be having sexual thoughts anymore. Try watching a youtube video on the commentary of a surah or a hadith and your mind will be engaged in something else; the sexual thoughts will disappear for the time being. Get up from the couch or the bed and do an activity that busies your mind and hands/feet with something else (clean, cook, make something). If you don't want to engage in a religious activty, fine. Find something else.

And if you find doing ghusl to be a hassle, then that's a good thing. The hassle itself can help deter a person from the act. A speeder needs to go through the hassle of paying a $200 fine and completing a traffic course in order to calm himself down on the road. In other words, even the hassles have their benefit.
                    GoIndi Rain

Comment

Bourgois, I don't think I've said anything of an offensive nature. I've stated things in a very matter-of-fact way and sometimes that tone can be perceived in an offensive way and hence I apologized. There used to be a member here by the name of Psyah and he would sometimes say that a defensive stance comes from refusal to follow a certain path.

If deep down you do not truly want to give up a certain prohibited action during the fasting hours, then any and all manner of advice (succinct or lengthy), whether from an ordinary member or a maulvi, will sound offensive or unpleasant to you. So you have to look within yourself as we all do.

There is a difference between trying to brush away a sexual thought and nursing-feeding-cultivating a sexual thought (even without masturbation). You are asking for the latter, and that too, during fasting hours. So, what do you want us to say? You want us to tell you that sure it's totally okay to nurse such thoughts in your mind during Ramadan so long as you don't masturbate? You want us to give you the green light for the 50% wrong if not the 100% wrong? And if our stance is upsetting to you, then why not seek advice from an aalim? He, too, will tell you that such thoughts should be diverted and not cultivated in this month. You argue that nursing such thoughts prevents you from masturbation. Okay, then try taking it a step further and challenge yourself to not nurse these thoughts the minute they enter your mind and try to occupy your energies in a different way. It will be tough for sure at first, but will hopefully get easier with time. All of us have our inner demons to battle with. All of us. Not just you. I am not super-religious as you've assumed, I have my own battles to fight.

Yes Allah instilled weaknesses within us but he also instilled within us the potential to do better. We wouldn't be tested if we were truly without any potential for improvement. If you get an involuntary thought, nip it in the bud and don't fuel it to the point that it leads you to discharge and then ghusal. If you are going to nurse the thoughts and get to t he point of discharge without masturbation then you have to deal with ghusal. But it's better to get to the root of the problem by avoiding triggers and by diverting thoughts the minute they occur.
                      Last edited by IndiGo Rain; Jun 12th, 2018, 08:07 PM.
                      GoIndi Rain

Comment

• bourjois
                        bourjois commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No one is talkig about giving someone a green signal on this, point is its easy to say do this & do that but we all know how hard it is at the end of day.
                        you are making it sound like as if I am a bad person & trying to do all these things on purpose & how my thought process is bad while you are some perfect girl who does everything perfect & goody goody in difficult situations.

If it was that easy to control & act all goody goody then I dont think anyone would be doing anything wrong in this world. No hungry perosn would steal food out of hunger if doing what you say was that easy.You do understand how diverting your concebtration, not giving what your body wants & stopping it from these "needs" & brushing such thoughts over & over again can cause alot of frustration that might lead to so many other things?

So miss indigo rain aka redvelvet ji, keep your gayan to yourself since you are so perfect & I am not.

AsSalaamo Alaikum,

According to:

Praise be to Allaah.

Masturbation is one of the things that invalidate the fast, and the one who does that has to make up the day that he broke his fast. He must also repent from this great sin.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:

Masturbation during the day in Ramadaan invalidates the fast if it is done deliberately and semen is emitted as a result. The person must make up the day if that was an obligatory fast, and he must repent to Allaah, because masturbation is not permissible whether one is fasting or not. It is the action which people call the ?secret habit?.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 15/267

Shaykh Ibn ?Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If a fasting person masturbates and ejaculates, this breaks his fast, and he has to make up the fast of the day on which he masturbated, but he does not have to offer any expiation, because the expiation is only required of one who has intercourse. And he has to repent from what he did.

Fataawa Arkaan al-Islam, p. 478

This applies if he masturbated and ejaculated; if he did not ejaculate then this does not break the fast.

Shaykh Ibn ?Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Sharh al-Mumti? (6/388):

If he masturbated without ejaculating, this does not invalidate the fast.

And Allaah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/38074
                      Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

Working...
                      X