Rigging in Elections 2018 vs 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging in Elections 2018 vs 2013

I have read many articles on the conduct of 2018 elections from both the Pakistani and international press including reports from various monitoring organisations. I have also watched many news shows and clips and have also watched or read first person anecdotes on social and regular media. I had done something similar in 2013.

My personal opinion is that in 2013 rigging was sporadic and done at the local level through ghunda gardi by local influentials. The only exception was Karachi where MQM indulged in systematic booth capturing and boosted its vote count. However, MQM would have won most of its seats anyway. My opinion is that the overall result was affected by around 10 seats or so. The judicial commission that investigated the rigging reached similar conclusions.

In 2018 my personal opinion is that rigging was centrally organized by the army and systematically executed on 50+ seats to give PTI a pre-planned number of seats. The method of rigging was to expel the polling agents during counting and take over the counting and reporting process in 50+ (not all) constituencies. The polling staff was intimidated by the aggressive security staff. ECP and caretaker governments, if not complicit, were too weak and mostly stood aside. In my opinion the overall result was affected by 50+ seats.

I am not even talking here about pre-poll pressures applied to various parties and the media.

Overall, I think this election was similar to the 2002 election where similar tactics were used to bring PML-Q to power.
    Last edited by krash; Aug 10th, 2018, 12:33 PM.

The only difference is that Imran Khan didn't get his pajama in a knot for opening constituencies. Did you remember that PML-n was acting like a saas in a saas bahu drama for allowing even 4 constituencies to be recounted?
    Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

Originally posted by krash View Post
      I have read many articles on the conduct of 2018 elections from both the Pakistani and international press including reports from various monitoring organisations. I have also watched many news shows and clips and have also watched or read first person anecdotes on social and regular media. I had done something similar in 2013.

My personal opinion is that in 2013 rigging was sporadic and done at the local level through ghunda gardi by local influentials. The only exception was Karachi where MQM indulged in systematic booth capturing and boosted its vote count. However, MQM would have won most of its seats anyway. My opinion is that the overall result was affected by around 10 seats or so. The judicial commission that investigated the rigging reached similar conclusions.

In 2018 my personal opinion is that rigging was centrally organized by the army and systematically executed on 50+ seats to give PTI a pre-planned number of seats. The method of rigging was to expel the polling agents during counting and take over the counting and reporting process in 50+ (not all) constituencies. The polling staff was intimidated by the aggressive security staff. ECP and caretaker governments, if not complicit, were too weak and mostly stood aside. In my opinion the overall result was affected by 50+ seats.

I am not even talking here about pre-poll pressures applied to various parties.

Overall, I think this election was similar to the 2002 election where similar tactics were used to bring PML-Q to power.

Your opinion is not based on any facts or evidence. Thanks

“Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

If polls can be rigged by Russians in The US of A!

tu Pakistan kiss bagh ke Mooli Dhuli hai Ji

ever since we became Nukeistan...the eyes of the Big Boys(outside Interests) keep things in a Turmoil
        Last edited by SindSagar; Aug 11th, 2018, 03:29 AM.
        Balaghal-ula bi-kamaalihi / Kashafad-duja bi-jamaalihi / Hasunat jameeu khisaalihi / Sallu alaihi wa aalihi

Comment

I just know that in transparent elections PPP cannot lose seat from Liyari. Yet Bilawal bhutto coming 3rd is just a lol
          We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
            I just know that in transparent elections PPP cannot lose seat from Liyari. Yet Bilawal bhutto coming 3rd is just a lol
            They are no longer with him!

Comment

• SID_NY
              SID_NY commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure when you went to Liyari or how many local people you spoke with. But even if you go talk to people in Chakiwara etc, they'll tell you how diehard they are for bhutto family

I have many friends from there since I used to work in Pakistan who were as such but no longer - I am still in contact with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mostar95 View Post
              I have many friends from there since I used to work in Pakistan who were as such but no longer - I am still in contact with them.
              Same is situation with MQM, the myth of 'MQM would've done majority' is nothing but hoax. Many of my immediate relatives who were hard-core MQM supporters in 2013 and even until last 2 years gave up on MQM as they did sh!t for Karachi in all their tenures except the Mushy time. MQM was a mafia which was finally broken when Altaf Hussain was sidelined. In 2013 PTI couldn't do proper campaign as their camps were ransacked, workers harassed etc. but this time they were not able to do that. Lyari showed major change against PPP by throwing stones at Bilawal. I am glad people are waking up politically, I hope they take PTI to cleaners if they are not able to perform in next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                Why is it such a big surprise for you? There was an obvious shift in public attitudes this time around. People questioned their representatives...and gave hereditary politics a big kick in the butt this time around. Its a wake up call for Bilawal. His ancestory is not enough to get him seats anymore. Its sort of like Bakhtawar and asifa getting kicked off wikipedia for not being notable on their own.
                The Thread Killer!

Comment

• SID_NY
                  SID_NY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Because I know people of Liyari. Not to undermine anyone but there is a very little to no difference of the level of passion for bhutto family in people of Liyari as compared with people of Larkana.

• Silaaj
                  Silaaj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doesnt mean much. Bilawal lost because he has no credentials of his own. Benazir lost to Bilour in Peshawar as well once upon a time because the people made their voice heard. Not sure why its unfathomable to think that Lyari would vote against PPP.
                  The passion doesnt exist anymore. Bilawals rally was stoned when he visited Lyari.

un tamam insapi murghon kay naam. jo molvi diesel ko Kashmir committee par latar mar rahay hia...

Comment

Where is the 'Khalai Makhlooq' when you need it. Why aren't they reading this forum. A certain someone NEEDS to disappear...PRONTO!!! Please make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X