Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly people are less confident

agree or disagree?

Disagree, confidence comes with success and mental strength.

Comment

• booompatakha
      booompatakha commented
      Editing a comment
      But you have to admit that a portion of someone's confidence come from his looks. People with good looks and a good personality have more opportunities open to them simply because people are attracted to what is good looking. That's why you see all these ads use attractive people because attractive people are more convincing.

Hmm. Your question implies that attractive people are more confident overall. Not necessarily. They might feel more confident about their looks and that can reflect in their body language, in the way they carry themselves, and can even translate in interactions where they are hoping their looks will put the outcome in their favor. But they could be lacking in confidence in situations that require more than just looks; that are based on ability and intellect, etc etc.

Similarly a person who may not be conventionally attractive could still feel confident about their abilities, their accomplishments, their level of experience in something, their wealth, their lineage, family background, etc. Confidence is not confined to just looks. I feel that it's much broader than that and it includes many other things. But, looks are still very powerful and social experiments have been conducted which prove that the good-looking do receive preferential treatment and they tend to be aware of this. However, looks are not everything. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

If all that a person has going for them is their physical beauty, then can you imagine their inner state when their looks/ youth fade? Take Holly/Bollywood for instance. Tinseltown is a very superficial place and actresses have a very short shelf-life. One pretty face can be (over time) easily replaced by another, more youthful one unless you have some legit talent and charisma that will give you more staying power. And when they feel their star waning, they will often become desperate to find ways to stay relevant in the media. So even the industry that is heavily based upon looks, and which plays a strong role in setting standards for physical beauty, is fraught with insecurities.
    Last edited by redvelvet; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• booompatakha
      booompatakha commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have two people with same skills and same abilities but one is ugly and the other is attractive, then I can assure you the attractive person is the more confident one.

Nope. There are so many naturally beautiful girls out there who have little to no self esteem. I have also seen some not so attractive people with tons of confidence. It really depends on the kind of environment you grew up in and the types of people you encountered over the years.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

How you perceive yourself directly affects your confidence levels and self esteem. Ugly people may perceive themselves as non ugly, just as good looking people may not consider themselves attractive. It's all in your head.
      "Brevity is the soul of wit." Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

Comment

Define ugliness
        We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

• booompatakha
          booompatakha commented
          Editing a comment
          Someone out of shape with an asymmetrical face.

• Cashmere
          Cashmere commented
          Editing a comment
          booompatakha Since when was asymmetry "ugly"? e.g a freckle on one side, one sided dimple, side combed hair, one hand/foot bigger than the other. We all are asymmetrical to some extent. Unless you're going by the latest scientific bull---- defining beauty standards.

If you know how to use your good looks than it is sheer power. There is a reason the fitness and beauty industry is worth in 100s of billions.

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
          Hmm. Your question implies that attractive people are more confident overall. Not necessarily. They might feel more confident about their looks and that can reflect in their body language, in the way they carry themselves, and can even translate in interactions where they are hoping their looks will put the outcome in their favor. But they could be lacking in confidence in situations that require more than just looks; that are based on ability and intellect, etc etc.

Similarly a person who may not be conventionally attractive could still feel confident about their abilities, their accomplishments, their level of experience in something, their wealth, their lineage, family background, etc. Confidence is not confined to just looks. I feel that it's much broader than that and it includes many other things. But, looks are still very powerful and social experiments have been conducted which prove that the good-looking do receive preferential treatment and they tend to be aware of this. However, looks are not everything. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

If all that a person has going for them is their physical beauty, then can you imagine their inner state when their looks/ youth fade? Take Holly/Bollywood for instance. Tinseltown is a very superficial place and actresses have a very short shelf-life. One pretty face can be (over time) easily replaced by another, more youthful one unless you have some legit talent and charisma that will give you more staying power. And when they feel their star waning, they will often become desperate to find ways to stay relevant in the media. So even the industry that is heavily based upon looks, and which plays a strong role in setting standards for physical beauty, is fraught with insecurities.

Good looking people tend to be more successful also as it is easier for them to get jobs, get promotions etc. They tend to be happier also as they haven't faced rejections like the not so attractive people.

Comment

• booompatakha
            booompatakha commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for being honest

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
          Define ugliness
          Jeff Bezos comes to mind!
          We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

parents..........
            Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

• booompatakha
              booompatakha commented
              Editing a comment
              What about them?

• NomiCA
              NomiCA commented
              Editing a comment
              Confidence or lack thereof...depends on them...the biggest factor

No body is ugly, just broke. A lot of things can be fixed these days. Being average looking is different though and may actually have benefits over those who are blessed with extra ordinarily good looks. I feel it is quite difficult for extraordinarily good looking people to maintain long term relationships. They have too many options so instead of compromising or putting an effort when things are less than perfect, they find it far easier to call it quits and find another partner. Some of these people are so obsessed with their looks and crave so much attention that they almost never stop having affairs on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
              No body is ugly, just broke. A lot of things can be fixed these days. Being average looking is different though and may actually have benefits over those who are blessed with extra ordinarily good looks. I feel it is quite difficult for extraordinarily good looking people to maintain long term relationships. They have too many options so instead of compromising or putting an effort when things are less than perfect, they find it far easier to call it quits and find another partner. Some of these people are so obsessed with their looks and crave so much attention that they almost never stop having affairs on the side.
              Most characterless men I have come across are the unattractive ones, they are conditioned to chase everything that breathes as the rejection rate is very high that even when they find someone they keep chasing. If fixing attractiveness was that easy than why so many unattractive people?

Comment

• redvelvet
                redvelvet commented
                Editing a comment
                There is also no shortage of good-looking players. They're not immune to infidelity. I

• Bobby1
                Bobby1 commented
                Editing a comment
                So you marry an ugly man hoping he is at least going to be faithful and now you are stuck with someone who is ugly and unfaithful.

• redvelvet
                redvelvet commented
                Editing a comment
                So are you saying that being good looking is in some way a compensation for a guy's infidelity? Ummmm......no, You are rather obsessed with beauty so I am not surprised that you would think that way.

You don't have to remain "stuck" with an unfaithful, but attractive spouse either. You can dump him as well. His pretty face is not going to undo or erase his transgressions. But hey....if it works for you....then more power to you.

Originally posted by third string View Post
              Disagree, confidence comes with success and mental strength.
              One may argue that success comes more easily to attractive people.

Comment

Success that is based upon using your abilities may not be attained simply by putting a pretty face forward if that ability is lacking or not developed. And in such a situation, if your looks are what helped you get your foot through the door........I don't consider that success at all.

A common complaint among attractive folks is that they'd like to be recognized and appreciated for more than just their looks.

Comment

• Bobby1
                  Bobby1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have never seen a good looking person ever wish that they were ugly, have you?

• redvelvet
                  redvelvet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nobody wishes that they were ugly.

But EVERYONE (both ugly and beautiful) wishes that their confidence stemmed from something much more deeper and substantial than their physical appearance which is a fleeting thing that will fade with time. Everyone (both ugly and beautiful) wants to be appreciated and valued for MORE than just their looks ......such as their personality, their contributions, their abilities, etc etc.

redvelvet ugly men are programmed to chase tirelessly and shamelessly beautiful women, we are genetically programmed to enhance our gene pool. My wifes beautiful sisters fell prey to the relentless pursuit of ugly men. They made them believe that they would appreciate them undying, would bring them the moon if they so desired.

Her BIL who I helped immigrate here is one hell of an ugly guy, has paan gutka teeth, is dark, fat and bald with patchy skin and leers at goris and beats his wife and daughters.

Comment

• redvelvet
                  redvelvet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am surprised that you are not aware that attractive men can be players, too. That they can be very cocky about their looks and are very aware that they don't have to put much effort into attracting women. The media contains many such examples.

You are so obsessed with beauty that you are turning a blind eye to the flip-side reality of your argument about ugly men. Expand your soch, Bobby.......it's not simple as you state it. There are all kinds of situations in this world.

• Bobby1
                  Bobby1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am talking about who is more likely to, I had scores of relationships before marriage and then I married an amazingly beautiful woman so I have what I wished for so I have no reason to look. My eldest brother in Montreal was one of the most handsome guy and never even looks at any woman.

I feel because of all the rejections the ugly guys try hard to prove themselves.

Yes beauty is important to me. I spent a lifetime making my kids as good looking as they possibly could be.
              Working...
              X