SID_NY, Southie, and FBP's Giant Thread of Gardening Awesomeness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SID_NY, Southie, and FBP's Giant Thread of Gardening Awesomeness

Self explanatory people... show us all your gardening pictures! Or tips! Or questions! Or even just shots of other gardens you find nice to look at! Maybe it's a park nearby where you live or a neighbours garden... plants are amazing.

I am mostly focused on a food based garden. Because I live in a city and have a tiny backyard that is overshadowed by a huge chestnut tree, I have to grow our mini farm on our roof deck. Here are a few pictures of what I'm growing to get us started:

Bok choy Strawberries Freckled romaine
    Our backs tell stories no books have the spine to carry - Rupi Kaur

Oh oh, now its a lot of pressure. I havent grown anything yet. But as I do will surely post pics. Luckily for iphone users its much easier to upload pics now

Question: do you have a grass lawn? applied anything yet?
    We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
      Oh oh, now its a lot of pressure. I havent grown anything yet. But as I do will surely post pics. Luckily for iphone users its much easier to upload pics now

Question: do you have a grass lawn? applied anything yet?
      No grass unfortunately... my backyard is tiny... the size of a postage stamp . The neighbours have a massive tree that basically blocks the sun from coming into my yard. Right now it's Charlie's digging domain. I do have a small fire pit out there but that's about it. I'm jealous of everyone who has an actual yard.

I started growing these crops months ago in winter with grow lights. I think I actually might have started too early because this winter went on for ages!! Looking forward to seeing your garden. What are you planning on growing this year?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshBakedPi View Post

No grass unfortunately... my backyard is tiny... the size of a postage stamp . The neighbours have a massive tree that basically blocks the sun from coming into my yard. Right now it's Charlie's digging domain. I do have a small fire pit out there but that's about it. I'm jealous of everyone who has an actual yard.

I started growing these crops months ago in winter with grow lights. I think I actually might have started too early because this winter went on for ages!! Looking forward to seeing your garden. What are you planning on growing this year?
        Being in city, do you have those window edges to put plants in there? It looks beautiful from outside.

You know how we are just "starting" to get spring in late April so right now after spring cleanup its more of a damage control. Like remember the tree that fell? that destroyed enter section/bed. So had to dig it over and now thinking about wut could be next. Unfortunately ive been too tied up so havent done any proper planning.

Will keep posted. and yea looking forward to some advice too
        We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

We have a puppy who is running amuck in the strawberry patch. In spite or because of that there are flowers in the patch. Oifu orders tomatoes small and big, green chilies big and small, egg plant, zucchini, and herbs. We have raised bed for these. Up with puppy being nuts, we need to raise our game and the bed some more.

i don?t know how to upload pictures in this forumu
          Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Being in city, do you have those window edges to put plants in there? It looks beautiful from outside.

You know how we are just "starting" to get spring in late April so right now after spring cleanup its more of a damage control. Like remember the tree that fell? that destroyed enter section/bed. So had to dig it over and now thinking about wut could be next. Unfortunately ive been too tied up so havent done any proper planning.

Will keep posted. and yea looking forward to some advice too
            I was actually considering window boxes! When it stops raining a bit later I'll go outside and take a picture of the front of my place. I have these two balconies I could maybe do something with. I agree with you though... window boxes really elevate the exterior of a property.

Yeah I still can't believe how hard you guys got hammered in that last storm!! That was mental. How does everything look now? Do you still have more to clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
              We have a puppy who is running amuck in the strawberry patch. In spite or because of that there are flowers in the patch. Oifu orders tomatoes small and big, green chilies big and small, egg plant, zucchini, and herbs. We have raised bed for these. Up with puppy being nuts, we need to raise our game and the bed some more.

i don?t know how to upload pictures in this forumu
              I wanted to grow eggplants this year but I wasn't sure I'd have enough space! What variety are you growing? I hear you on the puppy thing though.... Charles is a nutcase. Earlier this week I went downstairs in the morning to let him out of his cage and he had gotten into a bag of worm casings/ compost, ripped the thing to shreds and strewn it all over himself, the cage and the floor of my office. It's a wonder I didn't kill him lol.

Photo proof provided. (Re: uploading pictures... You click the little camera icon on the left side of the reply box. Or at least that's how I've been doing it! )

Comment

Originally posted by FreshBakedPi View Post

I wanted to grow eggplants this year but I wasn't sure I'd have enough space! What variety are you growing? I hear you on the puppy thing though.... Charles is a nutcase. Earlier this week I went downstairs in the morning to let him out of his cage and he had gotten into a bag of worm casings/ compost, ripped the thing to shreds and strewn it all over himself, the cage and the floor of my office. It's a wonder I didn't kill him lol.

Photo proof provided. (Re: uploading pictures... You click the little camera icon on the left side of the reply box. Or at least that's how I've been doing it! )
                That is hilarious. Charles is cute. Hadn?t noticed the camera icon. We have identical crate. Will ask Oifu and let you know re egg plantsu
                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Spent a lot of hours today, like pretty much entire day, in cleaning up different plant sections. Also worked a lot on grass using electric dethatcher (borrowed from neighbor) and blower.

similar amount of work anticipated sunday. Lets see. Took few pictures of plants but pic upload from cell is broken again

Comment

I had a lot of work done yesterday as well. First lawn mow of the season. Then again used dethatcher to get the dry grass out. Got 14k+ steps. Hopefully will be able to spread weed killer today

Comment

Spent a lot of hours today, like pretty much entire day, in cleaning up different plant sections. Also worked a lot on grass using electric dethatcher (borrowed from neighbor) and blower.

similar amount of work anticipated sunday. Lets see. Took few pictures of plants but pic upload from cell is broken again

Oh no! How on earth did the phone break?

Comment

I had a lot of work done yesterday as well. First lawn mow of the season. Then again used dethatcher to get the dry grass out. Got 14k+ steps. Hopefully will be able to spread weed killer today
                        That's a helluva lot of steps!! Nice work!

I built all the raised beds on the roof deck today. Oiled the cedar and the rags caught on fire!!! It was the craziest thing I've seen in a long time!!

Comment

• SID_NY
                          SID_NY commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh thats how I was feeling over the weekend lol. A gigantic effort and i was feeling like a farmer lol. See if you can upload the pics of bed, i wanna see. for me, the pic upload option from cell isnt working :\

Yesterday I sprayed the "weed & feed" fertilizer in front/backyard

I know, I know i'm late for it but hey, so is the nature. We got practically no spring and looks like are being shifted from spring to summer directly

Comment

You learn new things everyday..so today I found out that there are zones in US as per the natural climate as to what to grow and when. Such a novice i'm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	31958991_1934236743294299_4273845016205459456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fc0f12f3d630352093bdafaac777ba6c&oe=5B97FA7A.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	16629881

Check the link below:
                          Planting calendar and reminders to keep your kitchen garden growing

Comment

Dead tired but a few shots from today... Charlie was not impressed... he supervised from under the large bed after getting in the way for half the time we were planting. Lazy clot!

Comment

• SID_NY
                            SID_NY commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It looks Amazing! wow to the efforts. I really dont need to raise a bed in my yard but now im seriously thinking to fill in the corners with it.
                        Working...
                        X