Reminiscing on GS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
    What if we're all just overthinking this and the real reason is far more simpler that that. Maybe it's because Bob cursed this place on his way out.
    I thought he came back
    Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

• redvelvet
      redvelvet commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, yes and no. Bob had his account deactivated and as a result he is restricted to a few functions. I don't think he can post in the threads, nor create any. I think he is confined to just his blog. He had come back about a month ago to rave about how popular he is on Twitter and how he interacts with the celebs, etc. But every now and then Bob returns with an update about his sons; I guess the celebs on Twitter are not too keen on hearing about Safy's love life and Haris's athletic achievements. It's a cold, cold world we live in Southie.

Honestly speaking new interface sucks but it is not an excuse
    I have not seen many active users e.g. HM, LP etc since the GS is upgrated (may be they have other reason to leave)
    Our Lord, avert from us the punishment of Jahannam (the Hell); indeed, its punishment is a persisting affliction.” (65) Indeed, it is evil as an abode and a place to dwell in (66)

Comment

• SID_NY
      SID_NY commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with that. Interface has issues but making it a reason to abondon longings with GS makes no sense. Those who are hooked up with GS are never into interfaces either way. Yes LP has other reasons (i hope). Hakuna is a shocker.

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post

People had left GS long before the new software was installed. Even with the new GS software, it's still pretty easy to post comments in threads. It's still the same mechanism....but it has been made easier in some ways. Point is: For the members that truly enjoyed posting comments in threads, it's not the software that has made this particular function difficult for them. Other factors are at play here. And while I do miss the variety in members that we previously had, in a way I'm kinda glad that a few mods left because their tone/attitude was a bit of a population deterrent. Also, I don't think that someone as persistent as Hakuna would leave only because of the new interface.
    Well i am 100% sure about hakuna leaving this forum because of new interface. Yes GS has been made easier in some aspects but it has messed things up too.. There is no activity stream, people have to go into threads to see what is happening and who said what... Before upgradation, you could know everything about what's happening on GS at the cost of just one click on "activity stream". The activity stream used to play an important role in driving people into threads, blogs e.t.c
    I agree there are many other factors at play, but you can't deny that this forum was doing quite well before upgradation even in the absence of old veteran guppies, not so long ago.... But now the silence has taken over and this is due to the new interface, i feel...
    Having said that, i laud the efforts SIDNY has been putting in to overcome this traffic crisis. I am part of this forum since 2013 and i have not seen any director doing this much for the forum. Had there been any other director in place of SID, the forum would be dead by now.
    So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

well.....its been on life support......so vitality fluctuates.......much thanks to the last bunch of mods who f'ked this place up........ ban this, ban that, witch hunting members for merely disagreeeing....... me, and some other ''troublemakers'' used to tell them that this place will die if you keep doing this shiity thing......

also, newer people who kept joining from time to time were probably from a generation who had been on forums.......the younger lot are more into tweets and instas , don't have patience for reading more than 2 lines of texts.....so they don't bother coming here.....
      Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. I remember those days when there was a sisterhood bond among the modnis. If someone dared to argue with a mod, it was only a matter of time before her sister mods came to back her up against the person. I remember Diwana often stirred up the mods against him. Diwana usually had a logical point, but he just worded things in a way that doosron ko tapp charti, lol. There was a thread in which a prominent modni was debating a topic with Diwana. She became defensive and put forth weak analogies and Diwana calmly pointed out how they weren't applicable. The mod was arguing against the topic while Diwana was arguing for it. The funny thing is that years later, the modni's views changed and she was now in favor of that same topic which she had so stubbornly argued against before. Seeing that change in views made me chuckle. Diwana had won again and he wasn't around to see his victory.

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post

Well i am 100% sure about hakuna leaving this forum because of new interface. Yes GS has been made easier in some aspects but it has messed things up too.. There is no activity stream, people have to go into threads to see what is happening and who said what... Before upgradation, you could know everything about what's happening on GS at the cost of just one click on "activity stream". The activity stream used to play an important role in driving people into threads, blogs e.t.c
      I agree there are many other factors at play, but you can't deny that this forum was doing quite well before upgradation even in the absence of old veteran guppies, not so long ago.... But now the silence has taken over and this is due to the new interface, i feel...
      Having said that, i laud the efforts SIDNY has been putting in to overcome this traffic crisis. I am part of this forum since 2013 and i have not seen any director doing this much for the forum. Had there been any other director in place of SID, the forum would be dead by now.
      Much as inHATE to agree with this guy, the activity stream was a great tool never to be used again.

Am going back to HATING

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post

Much as i HATE to agree with this guy, the activity stream was a great tool never to be used again.

Am going back to HATING
        I love the fact that you hate me because i hate you too... Soon we will lock horns one last time to decide who is the boss

So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

One other challenge we've been facing for atleast two years is a lot of posters, mostly new, are joining only to increase either their followers on IG etc or the traffic to their website. They are digital marketers or bloggers etc. And when we try to explain that bhai/behn jan, this is a community forum. not a parchoon ki dukaan where they can put up their flyers anywhere they want but its just hard for them to understand how can there be a online community without all this shap shapa they try to broadcast.
          We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

many are spam bots. You can see some of their posting patterns so why not automatically ban them?

Others are humans which would require a regular mod team which has disappeared as well. It is still a testament to gupshup that it still has survived when I have seen other forums just completely wither away like permanently abandoned cities after a mongol invasion.
            Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

Did someone mentioned diwana

Comment

redvelvet ji

actually this forum is alive just in a different form. There is still activity. People exchange views. More is not necessarily better. The community lives on. People check in periodically and aperioidically granted even though the latter is not a word.

Bobby is harmless and probably needs reinstated with full honors.

And when r we going to restore mic macs blogging credentials.

Comment

• redvelvet
                  redvelvet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alive in a different form? Yes, I suppose so. It's on life support; that's a form of alive, too.

The biggest plague that has affected this forum community over the years has been the issue of personal ego. Whether it be mods/CMs/admins or popular posters.

Some wise man once said: Power corrupts; and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Blooming of social media apps like FB/Twitter/Snapchat and mix it all with flawed policies and indiscriminate bans has resulted in people abandoning this place and moving on to places where they can interact with only those with whom they wish without being judged, ridiculed, ostracized and banned.

When your personal egos get in the way of you respecting a forum member, the end result is what you see today of GS. Never ever take your forum members for granted.
                “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

• Sheeda Pistol
                  Sheeda Pistol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DISCLAIMER: My post above is not directed any one particular mod or admin or CM. It was a general comment when I look back at my experience with this forum under 3 active usernames and 18 years later.

• Pakistani Prince
                  Pakistani Prince commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh so you joined this forum 18 years ago in the year 2000... That's some news.

• Sheeda Pistol
                  Sheeda Pistol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know the guys who started this forum; we hung out on a different platform before. On that platform we used robots to kick and ban people LOL. But thats another story for a different day....

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                I dont go that far. I just look at, ahm, responsible figures. Like previous CMs, directors, and other fancy execs. I'm very junior to almost all of them. But I hope they dont get nuts on me questioning their complete disassociation with GS currently. And I personally know many of them are very active on other social media.

So, what happened? As a person trying day & night to revive this place (quite futile as you can see) even when going through the toughest phase of life, I think I do deserve to know if its their ego, or they are disgruntled with something or someone or what. Cuz I just cant buy that they moved on and forgot all about GS after dedicating years of their wonderful work.

And why I was looking forward to them? Its becuz each of them was by him/herself a center of sphere attracting so many other posters who still visit here looking forward to seeing them. But I guess its not going to happen anymore.

And its pretty much first time i'm writing all this publicly. Just shows how frustrated I'm at this point.
                Jani I tried. But you saw how I was clipped. Funny how those who reached you complaining about holy, are gone themselves.

Just one thing: Bring the same satire back. Whether in the form of new posters or old. Happy to help everytime i'm over there
                My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
                "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

SID_NY

Under the previous admin, were the mods ever asked to create an x number of threads for their assigned forum to increase traffic? Would it help if each of us were temporarily assigned an x number of threads to create to help increase forum traffic? Initially, it would be mainly the current active members who would post responses in the threads...but outwardly it would make the forum look more 'busy'...and hopefully (with time) it will bring former members and maybe even some new ones. Would that help at all? What do you think?

We have interesting topics and comments in the blogs but not as many in the various forums.
                  Last edited by redvelvet; 1 week ago.
                  Do I dare disturb the universe? In a minute there is time. For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

Comment

• redvelvet
                    redvelvet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know you don't have to be a mod to contribute to the forum. But I am wondering if it would help if each if us more active members put up a few threads? Initially it would just be us few members that would post responses but the forum would look busier outwardly and hopefully draw more members with time. What do u think about that?

I don't know where all the former mods went. I did not have an issue with all of them; there were many I liked. But there were a few mods that I did not feel comfortable with and I am relieved they are not here and that they weren't as loyal to the forum.

• Sheeda Pistol
                    Sheeda Pistol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am down with your idea. Lately, I have opened several threads in religion forum. Funny thing is there is not much of interest from the current set of active posters even in those threads, unless its a controversial topic or your-version-of-Islam-is-better-than-my-version topic.

• redvelvet
                    redvelvet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sheeds, we'll need Sid to delegate.

I think those who engaged in indiscriminate banning would do well to come back just to apologize. There were several folks I disagreed with vehemently. But didn?t want to see any of them banned. Success got to the head I suppose.

Comment

@SID-NY efforts are appreciated
                    i dont like this new style of GS and it doesn?t make me feel to post even i feel like to post a blog or comments or topics whatever!
                    “The keys to the life of the heart lie in reflecting upon the Quran, being humble before Allah in secret, and leaving sins.” Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Comment

Working...
                    X