Reminiscing on GS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminiscing on GS

I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to visit former, epic threads on GS. We have so many of those; threads where there was so much ronak and laughter and discussion. So, I came upon this gem from the Cafe forum:

https://gupshup.org/forum/hangout/gu...-degree-or-not

It was fun to revisit this thread among many others. But it got me thinking. This thread is not a very old one. It was created last year. So as early as only 2017, GS was a different place. A livelier place. Sure, the population of former years had severely dwindled and there were only a handful of us left. But even that handful was a more engaging bunch. Now, there's a greater seriousness in the air of GS, in our threads, in our blogs, in our interactions. Where did that lightheartedness vanish?

A couple years ago I had read that an imbalanced stomach flora can trigger depression. That analogy comes to mind now. It's like the gut flora of GS becomes imbalanced when members leave and a ripple effect ensues throughout the body and to the central nervous system of the forum. Or maybe a better analogy is that of a soup. Each member is like a certain seasoning or ingredient and when they're all blended, you can't quite discern them individually. But as they leave one by one, the soup tastes off...like something is missing...and sometimes you can figure out exactly which ingredient it is, but other times you can't quite place it. But you know that what you're missing is of an acidic component, or a sweet one, or a salty one, or perhaps it's just a thickener, or a lack in coloring, etc etc.
    Do I dare disturb the universe? In a minute there is time. For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

Its no longer the like the Thai Seven Seas Soup

(adding the image to give it a visual effect)
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/44/27/9d/seven-seas-soup-was-my.jpg

Lets stop rubbing it in and keep reminding the owners how the population has dwindled over the years and how lively and ronakful this place was. I am sure they already know and cant do anything about it. People move on and grow up and etc.
    “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

I dont go that far. I just look at, ahm, responsible figures. Like previous CMs, directors, and other fancy execs. I'm very junior to almost all of them. But I hope they dont get nuts on me questioning their complete disassociation with GS currently. And I personally know many of them are very active on other social media.

So, what happened? As a person trying day & night to revive this place (quite futile as you can see) even when going through the toughest phase of life, I think I do deserve to know if its their ego, or they are disgruntled with something or someone or what. Cuz I just cant buy that they moved on and forgot all about GS after dedicating years of their wonderful work.

And why I was looking forward to them? Its becuz each of them was by him/herself a center of sphere attracting so many other posters who still visit here looking forward to seeing them. But I guess its not going to happen anymore.

And its pretty much first time i'm writing all this publicly. Just shows how frustrated I'm at this point.
      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you don't think that I am rubbing it into admin. That's not my intention. GS is like a home for me and to see your ho,e change can be unsettling. In no way is it your fault; I'm not blaming you. It's a genuine curiosity that I have.

• SID_NY
        SID_NY commented
        Editing a comment
        No RV I dont think that way. I just have started to caring less about it.
        PS: I think you wanted to write 'home' but the typo turned out just ..um, weird

• SindSagar
        SindSagar commented
        Editing a comment
        Hows about starting a Role Playing Arena (Section) in GS where people assume new Identities (Avatars) with different themes and we call it The Fantasy World may be?

just throwing out Ideas!

@SID_NY And its pretty much first time i'm writing all this publicly. Just shows how frustrated I'm at this point.
      You are probably trying too hard SID_NY, and one has to remember that times n Technologies have changed, and peoples attention spans are getting shorter maybe,

Do not loose hope!

Here is an appropriate poem I want to share at this time that will cheer up your mood:

ai jazba-e-dil gar main chāhūn har chiiz muqābil aa jaa.e

manzil ke liye do gaam chalūn aur sāmne manzil aa jaa.e

ai dil kī ḳhalish chal yūnhī sahī chaltā to huun GS kī mahfil mein

us vaqt mujhe chaunkā denā jab rang pe mahfil aa jaa.e
      I say love, it is a flower, and you, it's only seed!

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. "People's attention spans are getting shorter, maybe"...........That made me chuckle, though yes, I do agree with you. It used to be that the Life and Relationships forum was the busiest place on GS. It drew in a good number of male and female members. That's where all the drama was. But with time people's relationships/marriages are getting shorter too......and maybe that's why the Life forum has seen a decline. Maybe.

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
      I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to visit former, epic threads on GS. We have so many of those; threads where there was so much ronak and laughter and discussion. So, I came upon this gem from the Cafe forum:

https://gupshup.org/forum/hangout/gu...-degree-or-not

It was fun to revisit this thread among many others. But it got me thinking. This thread is not a very old one. It was created last year. So as early as only 2017, GS was a different place. A livelier place. Sure, the population of former years had severely dwindled and there were only a handful of us left. But even that handful was a more engaging bunch. Now, there's a greater seriousness in the air of GS, in our threads, in our blogs, in our interactions. Where did that lightheartedness vanish?

A couple years ago I had read that an imbalanced stomach flora can trigger depression. That analogy comes to mind now. It's like the gut flora of GS becomes imbalanced when members leave and a ripple effect ensues throughout the body and to the central nervous system of the forum. Or maybe a better analogy is that of a soup. Each member is like a certain seasoning or ingredient and when they're all blended, you can't quite discern them individually. But as they leave one by one, the soup tastes off...like something is missing...and sometimes you can figure out exactly which ingredient it is, but other times you can't quite place it. But you know that what you're missing is of an acidic component, or a sweet one, or a salty one, or perhaps it's just a thickener, or a lack in coloring, etc etc.
      THE LINK DONT WORK
      CAN YOU PLEASE FIND THE QUIRK
      WHEN YOU FEEL DOWN
      LOOK FOR SIX PACK SWAMY AROUND TOWN
      Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        Swamy, you need to look for your 6 pack too.....and not in the fridge.

And to answer redvelvet 's concern : Where did that lightheartedness vanish?

I say part of it went to "Twitter" and part went to "Snapchat" and the remainder all went to "TEXTING on Their Smart Phones!

my biggest complaint towards the NEW Generation, they do not pick up the phone Ever

they want you you to TEXT them

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking more about the lightheartedness among current, active members. It's vanished. We were a more jollier bunch in 2017. Not so much anymore. I miss the ribbing, the banter, etc. Not only are we posting in the threads less and less, the ambience is more serious. But maybe it's due to numbers; the more the merrier.

I feel previous GS was better and easy to use..... Members used to post new threads and those threads used to reach out to everyone which kept GS still active. The current GS has ruined all the fun. Many posters like hakuna Matta left due to current bloody GS software..
      Last edited by Pakistani Prince; 1 week ago.
      So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

• SID_NY
        SID_NY commented
        Editing a comment
        As for Hakuna Matata or anyone leaving just due to upgrade is possibly one of the worst reasons for a dedicated poster. A newbie I can understand. But the ones who have been here for years and were the top-class flooder and even getting the best poster award, this justification doesnt suit. As for GS upgrade, it never got completed unfortunately. Its left half-way and we are trying to push it to get completed. Now once it all gets completed, will those come back who left just after seeing the new layout? I dont think so.

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        My point exactly. Notice how the current members include those that were not frequent thread posters. Sheeda did not post in every thread but is still here. Neither did Aqua but she's still here. They also had to face the new interface. So it doesn't quite make sense that someone as persistent as Hakuna could leave only due to the new software. There's gotta be more to it.

SID_NY, dare I say it....but I think maybe Bob needs to come back. Is maslay ka hal shayad Bob hi hai. If Bob comes back.......Bob ko samjhanay wali population bhi laut aaye gi .........and then it's only a matter of time before Queer comes back.......and if Queer comes back, he'll eventually be joined by Le Pakistan, Icono and Holy Lota. See, there's a trail of sorts here.
        Last edited by redvelvet; 1 week ago.

Whether you admit it or not but reality yahe hai ky GS suffered the worst lose of taraffic after upgradation.
      So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

• aqua70
        aqua70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone had to say it. I noticed dramatic decrease in traffic right after the update. From what I saw, people visited gs for nostalgia. It was the one thing that remained same on the net, kind of like coming to your parent's home after being away for a while. The update combined with the Gateway error that you receive at random times decreased traffic by half.

The infamous chat feature that was offered as an incentive also never appeared. I don't blame anyone though, Azkar is doing the best he can, wish I could help in some way but can't really.

Youngsters like redvelvet losing respect for Swamis May be the root cause.
      Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Guess who was the one who pointed it out first #Holy

Aur phir chiraghon men roshni na rahi #bummer
        My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
        "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

• SID_NY
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya're Rite!

Maybe this is sort of the "depression phase" of the forum. Eventually something will trigger a more lighthearted tone later.

Comment

• SID_NY
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          For last few years, atleast 4, summer has always been a slow time. People having trips, vacations etc or wutever.

RV, you should invite more girl posters or guys who write like girls to this forum.

Phir dekho saaray sathiyai huway uncle kaisay waapis aatay hain.

Poondi uncles aside, you have to admit that Pakistan / World Affairs is a serious place. It seems like that is only section that is popular in this forum aside from sports which could use some humor. But Pakistan really doesn't play that much aside from cricket and even that is slow compared to all the leagues in the US.
        Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
          Youngsters like redvelvet losing respect for Swamis May be the root cause.
          No Noo Southie, around here we measures age by the persons Join Date!

compared to Red Velvi you is the Youngster! by almost 700 days Young Sir

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post
            I feel previous GS was better and easy to use..... Members used to post new threads and those threads used to reach out to everyone which kept GS still active. The current GS has ruined all the fun. Many posters like hakuna Matta left due to current bloody GS software..
            People had left GS long before the new software was installed. Even with the new GS software, it's still pretty easy to post comments in threads. It's still the same mechanism....but it has been made easier in some ways. Point is: For the members that truly enjoyed posting comments in threads, it's not the software that has made this particular function difficult for them. Other factors are at play here. And while I do miss the variety in members that we previously had, in a way I'm kinda glad that a few mods left because their tone/attitude was a bit of a population deterrent. Also, I don't think that someone as persistent as Hakuna would leave only because of the new interface.
            Do I dare disturb the universe? In a minute there is time. For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

Comment

What if we're all just overthinking this and the real reason is far more simpler that that. Maybe it's because Bob cursed this place on his way out.

Comment

Working...
              X