Pakistani Films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistani Films

Have you seen any of the recent group of Pakistani movies (anything released in the last few years)? If so, what was the movie and what were your thoughts? Is the Pakistani movie scene making a comeback? Why would you still watch an Indian movie today over a Pakistani movie?
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

I dont remember if i've ever watched any Pakistani movie completely. But i was thinking to catch up 'Teefa in trouble'.

I dont watch indian movies either, except Amir Khan's.
    We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have seen several Pakistani films during the last few years. I think it's safe to say that Pakistani films have made a comeback in terms of making commercial films that are attracting the masses and doing well at the box office. However, most of these films seem to follow a 'formula' and involve very little risk-taking or exploration of new subjects. I'll start off by listing the most popular films...

Punjab Nahi Jaungi (2017)- simply an entertaining film with a great cast and funny script. I recommend it because it's an example of the typical Eid blockbuster the film industry aspires to deliver with a Pakistani feel to it. However, the story has some flaws in it with regards to the characters' motives and gender roles.

Actor in Law (2016) - the story is the highlight here and avoids the cliches you find in courtroom dramas. Arguably Fahad Mustafa's breakthrough.

Ho Mann Jahaan (2016) - a predictably stylish film from Asim Raza with a great, soulful soundtrack. Includes a great supporting cast who surprisingly outshine the leading trio. Does drag a bit towards the second half.

Jawani Phir Nahi Ani (2015) - typical masala comedy film that rehashes the old "boys will be boys" mantra and borrows from films such as "Hangover" and a dozen Bollywood films that belong to this genre. Sleazy humour. Did not warrant a sequel.
      ​​​​​​

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”-Jalal-ud Din Rumi

Comment

• SID_NY
        SID_NY commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reviews. But I guess none of them is a must see?

Out of the films above I think Punjab Nahi Jaungi is a must see as its currently the highest grossing film in Pakistan right now and has hilarious dialogues that have since gone viral on social media.

​​​​​​There is a lot of buzz surrounding 'Teefa in Trouble' which I will be watching soon.

There are some critically acclaimed films I would like to see such as Moor, Cake, Mah-e-Mir and Motorcycle Girl.
      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”-Jalal-ud Din Rumi

Comment

I've watched/tried to watch a few.

? Bachanna ? : good watch, it has some comedy, action and moves fast.

? Actor in law ? : good watch, not Mehwish Hayaat fan, but still.

? Jannan ? ? Dobara phir se ? ? Ho Mann jahan ? ? Bin roye ? (to some extent): couldn't sit through the whole movie. I fail to see the purpose of these movies, apart from being giant lifestyle magazines.. I dont find them entertaining, main characters acting is usually meh, predictable stories they drag for nothing..Now that's my personal opinion.

Music is good overall.

Comment

• KraziM3
          KraziM3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Forgot about 'Bachaana'! It's was surprisingly witty and easy to watch. Based on his acting in this film and 'Dukhtar', I think Mohib Mirza has to be one of the most underrated actors of our time.

Not a Mehwish Hayat fan either but she has grown on me. Prefer her over Mahira Khan but I think she also heading for overexposure as she's in every other film these days and acting opposite the same two actors.

Completely agree about the lifestyle magazine point...
          'Bin Roye' was literally a TV drama that was chopped up for the big screen. The drama version made much more sense.
          'Ho Mann Jahaan' did feel like a long Asim Raza commercial at times.
          'Dobara Phir Se' was a complete disappointment. This was Mehreen Jabbar's follow up to 'Ramchand Pakistani' - how did she get this so wrong? So bland and basic.

• micmac
          micmac commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you KraziM3.

After your review, I'll give a go to Punjab Nahin Jaungi.

• KraziM3
          KraziM3 commented
          Editing a comment
          micmac Sure, let us know what you thought of it.

I don?t think I?ve heard of do dobara Phir se or bachana- can you guys post trailers ?
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Here you go

Comment

Comment

I just watched 'Teefa in Trouble' at the cinema and I must say this is definitely worth watching. Lots of fun, action, comedy and twists with a heartfelt message too. The film excelled in the beautiful cinematography, sharp editing and impressive action scenes (which previous Pakistani films have struggled with). Ali Zafar puts in a strong performance as the leading man and its refreshing to see Maya Ali play a feisty and independent lady - a contrast to her TV roles. The supporting cast are simply brilliant and have some scene-stealing dialogues. If you fondly recall music videos from the late 1990s and early 2000s by artists such as Dr. Aur Billa, Shahzad Roy and Abrar Ul Haq, then you will really enjoy this film which pays tribute to that era.

Comment

Big admirer of PAKISTANI TALENT. .... But PAK FILM/TV industry should take their Values serious.

Comment

Saw Jawani Phir Nahin Aani 2 over the Eid holiday weekend. I found it funny. Fahad Mustafa's performance was amazing. Kubra looks stunning. But but, Ahmad Ali Butt's performance and role was the best. You can easily see the Zach Galifianakis in him.

“Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

I also happen to see the Parwaaz Hai Junoon starring Hamza Abbasi and Hania Aamir.

The movie is directed by Momina Duraid of Hum TV. The movie had its moments. For probably the first time in Pakistani cinema history you got to see first hand how the PAF cadets are trained and what the current capability of PAF is. Other than that the movie lacked a strong plot. Certain parts of the story were given very little screen time which left the audience a bit confused. Some combat parts were taken or copied from the famous Top Gun movie starring Tom Cruise.

In short, ill just say that this movie was a cross between Top Gun and your typical soap opera (ronay dhonay wala drama) from the Hum TV network.

Last edited by Sheeda Pistol; Sep 5th, 2018, 07:30 PM.
                    “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Comment

Anybody seen Zinda bhag? Reviews?
                      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                        Anybody seen Zinda bhag? Reviews?
                        It's quite good. I saw it a few years ago and I remember really enjoying it. It's baffling to me that not many people have seen Zinda Bhaag in Pakistan. The film is much better than most of the recent crapfest made in our country.

Comment

• SID_NY
                          SID_NY commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. I read somewhere else as well that it was good. May be i'll try to find if its available on any stream site

"7 Din Mohabbat In" is a breezy, fun watch. Saw it in the theater, and was impressed with the special effects and the very hilarious (and original) script. Solid performances from the entire ensemble, the transgender item number can be skipped, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X