Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Invader do you dislike most?

Originally posted by calypsodc View Post
    With the exception of Babar and possibly Humayun who was born in Afghanistan, none of the other Mughals were invaders and neither was Sher Shah Suri.
    Agree, Mughals were one of those invaders who settled in India. Sher Shah Suri was by no mean an invader.
    We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

I have 3 invader I hate the most. In order... Ghaznavi, Nadir Shah and Ghori.

Comment

Originally posted by calypsodc View Post
        I have 3 invader I hate the most. In order... Ghaznavi, Nadir Shah and Ghori.
        Reasons especially why Nadir Shah is on no.2 and Ghori on no.3
        We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Originally posted by muqawwee123 View Post
          Even military campaign of Sindh by Arabs earned them handsome profits
          how come?
          “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_Syed View Post
            how come?
            This is an extract from Chach-nama (which is totally tilted towards Arabs):

Muhammad Qasim now received a letter from Hajjaj, "At the time of sending out the expedition under you, I had pledged with Caliph Walid that the money issued from his treasury would be doubled the amount. I now learnt that 60,000 dirhams of silver had been sent to you and what have you paid back till date in cash or kind totals 140,000 dirhams''

Source: Chachnamah Retold : An Account Of The Arab Conquest Of Sindh - Gobind Khushalani - Google Books (page 178)

Strange a campaign sent for releasing Muslim ladies had such a detailed investment appraisals. Hajjaj was such a Baniya

Comment

This is an extract from Chach-nama (which is totally tilted towards Arabs):

Muhammad Qasim now received a letter from Hajjaj, "At the time of sending out the expedition under you, I had pledged with Caliph Walid that the money issued from his treasury would be doubled the amount. I now learnt that 60,000 dirhams of silver had been sent to you and what have you paid back till date in cash or kind totals 140,000 dirhams''

Source: Chachnamah Retold : An Account Of The Arab Conquest Of Sindh - Gobind Khushalani - Google Books (page 178)

Strange a campaign sent for releasing Muslim ladies had such a detailed investment appraisals. Hajjaj was such a Baniya
              Double shah?
              “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_Syed View Post
                Double shah?
                DeRh nahin Dhai Hushyar

Comment

2. Nadir Shah: In the words of the Tazkira:

"Here and there some opposition was offered, but in most places people were butchered unresistingly. The Persians laid violent hands on everything and everybody. For a long time, streets remained strewn with corpses, as the walks of a garden with dead leaves and flowers. The town was reduced to ashes
                  Source wiki-
                  On the morning of 22 March, the Shah rode out in full armour and took a seat at the Sunehri Masjid of Roshan-ud-dowla near the Kotwali Chabutra in the middle of Chandni Chowk. He then, to the accompaniment of the rolling of drums and the blaring of trumpets, unsheathed his great battle sword in a grand flourish to the great and loud acclaim and wild cheers of the Persian troops present. This was the signal to start the onslaught and carnage. Almost immediately, the fully armed Persian army of occupation turned their swords and guns on to the unarmed and defenseless civilians in the city. The Persian soldiers were given full license to do as they pleased and promised a share of the booty as the city was plundered.
                  All across the city, gunshots were heard, explosions were set off, shops were looted and houses were set on fire. Clouds and plumes of fire and smoke were soon seen in every part of the city. Persian troops stood outside the burning buildings and then slaughtered the Indians as they made their way out, trying to escape from the fire, smoke and flames. Men were chased down alleyways and killed. Women were assaulted, raped and abducted, some had their breasts hacked off whilst others chose to commit suicide. Children had their bellies ripped open whilst babies were torn from their mothers' arms, swung by their ankles and had their heads smashed against walls. The cries, shrieks and screams of those being killed, chilled everyone who heard them. The city was sacked for several days. An enormous fine of 20 million rupees was levied on the people of Delhi. Muhammad Shah handed over the keys to the royal treasury, and lost the Peacock Throne, to Nadir Shah, which thereafter served as a symbol of Persian imperial might. Amongst a treasure trove of other fabulous jewels, Nadir also gained the Koh-i-Noor and Darya-ye Noor diamonds; they are now part of the British and Iranian Crown Jewels, respectively. Persian troops left Delhi at the beginning of May 1739. Nadir's soldiers also took with them thousands of elephants, horses and camels that were laden with the booty that they had seized.
                  The plunder seized from India was so rich that Nadir stopped taxation in Iran for a period of three years following his return.[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] Nadir Shah's victory against the Mughal Empire in the East meant that he could afford to turn to the West and face the Ottomans. The Ottoman Sultan Mahmud I initiated the Otttoman-Persian War (1743-1746), in which Muhammad Shah closely cooperated with the Ottomans until his death in 1748.[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE] Nadir Shah's invasion and sack of Delhi left the Mughals so weakened that they were unable to counter the advances that the French and the British were making in India. Ultimately, it was the East India Company that was to benefit the most from the defeat of the Mughals by Nadir Shah.

Comment

3. Ghori was a pathetic individual. Both he and his deputy Aibak were defeated by Bhimdev Solank in the Battle of Kayadara. He was defeated by Pritviraj Chauhan in First battle of Tarain and was let go instead of being killed unfortunately. To avenge this defeat he instigated the second battle of Tarain. He deceitfully sent a letter of truce to Pritviraj Chauhan and attacked the Rajputs at night like the coward that he was. After "defeating" Pritviraj he instigated a "surprise attack" on his ex friend and ally Raja Jaichand and "defeated" him also. No wonder legend says that Pritivaj whom he blinded and took as a POW managed to successfully kill him with his skill of archery and the sound of Ghori's voice. Pritviraj was a "Shabdavedi". He did not have to see his target but could hit it by following the noise/sounds. Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan Ultimately it might have also been the Hindu Gakhars and Khokhars who historically ended his life. So whoever considers this pathetic man a hero is definitely touched in the head.

Comment

Death of Prithviraj - Wikipedia

As a prisoner in Ghor, Prithviraj was brought in chains before Muhammad Ghori. He haughtily looked Ghori straight into the eye. Ghori ordered him to lower his eyes, where upon a Prithviraj scornfully reminded him that the "eyes of a rajput is lowered only when a rajput dies".On hearing this, Ghori ordered that his eyes to be burnt with red hot iron rods.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]
                      Prithviraj's former court poet Chand Bardai, came to Ghori to be near Prithviraj in his misery. Chand Bardai came in disguise and paens. On the one hand, he earned Mahmud's regard; on the other, he took every opportunity to meet with Prithviraj and urge him to avenge Ghori. The two got an opportunity to kill Muhammad Ghori when Ghori announced an archery competition.
                      Chand Bardai told Ghori that Prithviraj was so skilled an archer, that he could take aim based only on sound, and did not even need to look at his target. Ghori disdained to believe this; the courtiers guffawed and taunted Chand Bardai, asking how a blind man could possibly shoot arrows. In the spirit of their usual barbaric mockery, they brought the blind and hapless Prithviraj out to the field. Pressing a bow and arrows into his hand, they taunted him to take aim. Chand Bardai told Ghori that this taunting would avail nothing, for Prithviraj would never do as some sundry courtiers bade him do. He said that Prithviraj, as an anointed king, would not accept orders from anyone other than another king. His ego thus massaged, and in the spirit of the occasion, Mahmud Ghori agreed to personally give Prithviraj the order to shoot. Some iron plates were hung and Prithiviraj was asked to aim at them. A man was to strike the plate with a hammer and Prithviraj was supposed to hit that plate.
                      Thus, Chand Bardai provided Prithviraj with an oral indication of where Ghori was seated by composing a couplet on the spot and reciting the same in Prithviraj's hearing. The couplet, composed in a language understood only by Prithviraj went thus:
                      "Char bans, chaubis gaj, angul ashta praman, Ta upar sultan hai, Chuke mat Chauhan." (Four measures ahead of you and twenty four yards away as measured with eight finger measurement, is seated the Sultan. Do not miss him now, Chauhan).
                      Ghori then ordered Prithviraj to shoot. Prithviraj thus came to know the location of Ghori and started shooting at the plates.When he hit the target courtiers said "vah" "vah" and Ghori said "Shabash", recognising Ghori's voice and turning in the direction from where he heard Ghori speak. Prithviraj took aim based only on the voice and on Chand Bardai's couplet, he sent an arrow racing to Ghori's throat. After this Ghori was killed by Prithviraj and took his revenge against him, but before Ghori's bodyguard could kill Prithviraj, he and Chand Bardai killed each other, to avoid dying in hands of the enemies.

Comment

Let me tell you my favorite Indian invader, Christopher Columbus. He was my favorite because he never reached India
                        People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
                          Let me tell you my favorite Indian invader, Christopher Columbus. He was my favorite because he never reached India

Comment

I think being Muslims, we appreciate Ibn e Batuta

Comment

'

Comment

But didn't he still end up invading the "wrong" Indians?
                                Shine on the world like loving sunlight (Rumi).
                                The most important principle of environment: you are not the only element (Mahavira)
                                Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without
                                (Buddha).

Comment

Working...
                                X