This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading?

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck just because it was lying around the house. I plan to get back into reading in the summer, I truly cannot wait 8)
    Bohat changee Chaval Maar Lende ho tusi

Comment

I just finished a shocking read of Jüri Lina called "Under the Sign of the Scorpion" which I just posted about in the World History section. I'm about to read "Architects of Deception" and am also reading about the history of Islamic philosophy.

Another fascinating read I finished some days ago was "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I didn't know it was a book, I saw the movie cover on the book in the library and then learnt that it had been written in the fifties. Excellent plot, amazingly well written and some original ideas and solutions about vampires. The end was very sad though. This week they're showing the movie "I am Legend" on tv, so I'm definitely watching. (I had found a German dubbed version on YouTube, but don't have to watch that now that's going to be on tv :-D )

I usually am not very fond of vampire stories, but "I am Legend" was written very well, so I can recommend it to anyone looking for an exciting read about something known but with an original take on it.

Comment

Kalash by MHT

Comment

Originally posted by notorious View Post
          I just finished a shocking read of Jüri Lina called "Under the Sign of the Scorpion" which I just posted about in the World History section. I'm about to read "Architects of Deception" and am also reading about the history of Islamic philosophy.

Another fascinating read I finished some days ago was "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I didn't know it was a book, I saw the movie cover on the book in the library and then learnt that it had been written in the fifties. Excellent plot, amazingly well written and some original ideas and solutions about vampires. The end was very sad though. This week they're showing the movie "I am Legend" on tv, so I'm definitely watching. (I had found a German dubbed version on YouTube, but don't have to watch that now that's going to be on tv :-D )

I usually am not very fond of vampire stories, but "I am Legend" was written very well, so I can recommend it to anyone looking for an exciting read about something known but with an original take on it.
          The Will Smith movie version is very very different to the book. I'd be interested in knowing what you make of it.

Comment

I started today

"Queen Noor: Leap of Faith"

Comment

just started on 'the marriage bureau for rich people by Farahad Zama

Comment

I lost my "The Odyssey" somewhere and now only reading Noam Chomsky's Failed States.
                “I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post
                  I lost my "The Odyssey" somewhere and now only reading Noam Chomsky's Failed States.
                  Excellent. I have much Chomsky. Some are difficult to read but totally worth it. I would recommend manufacturing consent as well.
                  OMG Paki!

Comment

Originally posted by stoppit View Post
                    Excellent. I have much Chomsky. Some are difficult to read but totally worth it. I would recommend manufacturing consent as well.
                    this is my first book by Chomsky and also first one on Politics.....he uses heavy words but it's good for polishing up one's vocabulary.
                    “I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

Comment

never heard of chomsky before, searched on him. sounds interesting.

Comment

Re-read one of my favorite novels, and favorite author, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's so powerful and will make you cry.
                        If you haven't read this.. where have you been?!
                        Keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

Comment

^ a great book!

Comment

The Secret of Ka by Christopher Pike

Comment

Originally posted by sazzie View Post
                              What did you think of it?

I'm currently reading The Confession by John Grisham. it was going soooo well but the middle, i was disappointed sigh. still a good book though lol
                              I liked it very much. Greg Mortensen's heart is in the right place. He was very respectful of local culture and did not patronize the people. I felt he did too much traveling - money could have been used more efficiently. But I loved the interaction between him and the local folks.
                              Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Originally posted by silver05 View Post
                                Re-read one of my favorite novels, and favorite author, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's so powerful and will make you cry.
                                If you haven't read this.. where have you been?!
                                Yes - not ashamed to admit it moved me to tears! Great writer. Of coourse you must have read the Kite Runner also
                                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Working...
                                X