This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading?

The forty rules of love by Elif Safak. I liked the book. I don't know if it's your type.
    Life Is Too Short To Wake Up With Regrets.Love the people who treat you right & have compassion for the ones who don't.
    Half of a person's beauty comes from the tongue

Comment

A case of exploding mangoes.
      I'm Not The Messiah, I'm A Very Naughty Boy

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
        Itna parha likha hota to yahan hota?!
        Fire and Fury parh lo, suna hai us mein aap ka dushman super hero hai and then topic bhi pasand ka hai
        Parh kr review dein, me ne bhi parhni hai...
        Muskurana bhi tujhi se seekha hai
        Dil lganey ka tu hi tareeqa hai <3

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
          Overall it was a good read. Towards the middle and especially toward the end it was easy to figure out who kidnapper was. There was one part which was really creepy. I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil it for you...but when she goes back to her abandoned, childhood house that's been broken down for years.....what she sees there...still creeps me out when I think about it. But that was the only scary part imo. Happy reading.
          I read it! I just received the book this week and completed it in two days...couldn't put it down! I agree it was easy to figure out the kidnapper. What a psycho?! Same author has a book release next month, "What my Sister Knew." Looking forward to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by PunjaBee View Post
            I read it! I just received the book this week and completed it in two days...couldn't put it down! I agree it was easy to figure out the kidnapper. What a psycho?! Same author has a book release next month, "What my Sister Knew." Looking forward to that one.
            If you're into mystery/suspense/thriller type books then try these:

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: This is about a small-time reporter who is given an assignment to report on a "missing girl" case that took place in her hometown....a place that she has long left behind and has no desire to return to. When she arrives the ultra-conservative town of her childhood, yet another girl goes missing. There are similarities between the two cases...the victims' teeth were removed. The protagonist resides in her mother's home..whom she shares an uncomfortable relationship with. She also has a step-sister whom she never got a chance to bond with. While working on the case, she is forced to revisit her own childhood past and in doing so she discovers links to the case of the missing girls.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.....This was a fun read. Libby is in her early 30s and has never worked a day in her life courtesy of a sympathetic trust-fund that was set up by community and national well-wishers after her older brother was charged with the bloody massacre of her mother and siblings. Libby only has a vague memory of what happened on that night, but her testimony landed her brother behind bars for years. Her trust fund is dwindling and she has to face the glum prospect of actually working for the first time. She is approached by a man who belongs to a group/organization that fiercely believes her brother is innocent. The man offers her money if she helps him investigate the possibility of her brother's innocence. She is drawn to the offer for not only lucrative reasons but also because she, too, wants to know what exactly happened that night.

The Passenger by Lisa Lutz....I really enjoyed this book. It's a fast-paced, easy read. And it hooks you from the first page. It also has tongue-in-cheek humor. A woman (can't remember name) comes out of the shower and finds her husband lying dead at the foot of the stairs. She makes the mistake of dragging his body, thus spreading the blood stain. This, she thought, might make her look guilty. So, instead of calling the police as she should have, she grabs whatever cash she has and gets into her car with no intention to ever return. She sells the car, then checks into a motel....with a made-up name. Then she goes to the convenient store, buys a pair of shearing scissors and a a box of hair-dye and changes her look. She adopts new identities several times throughout the book and you find out that she had also used a "fake name" when she married her husband. She's been wearing masks and running away all her life until she is forced to return to the very place that turned her away....and that's when u find out what led her to be on the run.

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware...This was an interesting read and is going to be turned into a movie. It's about a woman who is an author. She's fiercely introverted and she's never been able to have a lasting romantic relationship because she's never quite gotten over her first love from high school. Circumstances had led them to break up and for her to leave town, never to return. One day she receives an invitation to a "hen party" for her childhood best friend...whom she hasn't spoken to in years...and who is the opposite of her in every way (pretty, popular,etc). It turns out that former bestie is marrying her first love. The "hen party" takes place in a creepy looking glass-house in a remote location...surrounded by the woods. Strange things happen during this visit and someone is killed in what was a twisted form of revenge.

What She Knew by Gilly Macmillian...A woman's son goes missing not too long after her husband left her for another woman. In her search for her son, she is confronted with secrets about her family history...of who she truly is...and where she came from.

The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillian....Girl can't afford to get into an elite school but ends up there because she's a musical prodigy...a gift strongly cultivated by her mother. She gets in with the wrong crowd at school and an accident takes places. She tried doing the right thing...but she was the one behind the wheel....and two passengers are killed...among them her best friend. The tragedy takes its toll on her parents' marriage and they divorce. She and her mother move to another place and begin to put the pieces of their lives together. And then she is faced with the mysterious death of her mother. It was a good read, but I liked What She Knew much better.

Yep! Read all of them. I love telling what a book was about. I'm a nerd like that!
            Last edited by redvelvet; Jan 26th, 2018, 04:38 PM.
            I think that if you let me....I'd treat you like the sky
            I'd join up all your insecurities...And bundle all your flaws
            I'd create a new constellation....And search for it endlessly

Comment

What She Knew is a brilliant piece of work, really engaged my mind. Planning to read Dark Places in March on holiday. Have you read The Thing We Wish Were True?
              @redvelvet
              I'm Not The Messiah, I'm A Very Naughty Boy

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=70790]redvelvet[/MENTION]! You just created my 2018 reading list lol. I am into mystery, suspense, and thriller.

Comment

^ You're welcome.

Nav, no I haven't.
                  Last edited by redvelvet; Jan 27th, 2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Diary of an Oxygen Thief

It's a short book (a bestseller) that has been written anonymously. Hooked my attention from the first page which goes like this....

"I liked hurting girls. Mentally, not physically. I never hit a girl in my life. Well, once. But that was a mistake. I'll tell you about it later. The thing is, I got off on it. I really enjoyed it. It's like when you hear serial killers say they feel no regret, no remorse for all the people they killed. I was like that. Loved it. I didn't care how long it took either, because I was in no hurry. I'd wait until they were totally in love with me. Till the big saucer eyes were looking at me. I loved the shock on their faces. Then the glaze as they tried to hide how much I was hurting them. And it was legal. I think I killed a few of them. Their souls, I mean. It was their souls I was after. I know I came close a couple of times. But don't worry. I got my comeuppance."

Comment

The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani

Hooks you from the first page with a brutal crime scene. So far, it's going well.

Comment

• Nothing

Comment

• Nothing.
                          Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

• redvelvet Were you looking for this thread?
                            We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Have made quite some headway on my reading list during the summer break. I've read the following books:

1) A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena

It's about a girl named Zarin Wadia whose Parsi mother runs away from her home to earn money for her impoverished family by dancing at a bar and marries a Hindu man that belongs to the underworld. If that didn't bring shame upon the family and render her an outcast in the community, to make matters worse the girl is orphaned when both of her parents are killed. Zarina is only 6-years-old when she is adopted by her mother's younger sister (aunt) and her husband whom have no children of their own. Zarin's aunt is a hard hearted woman who has never forgiven her older sister for tarnishing the family's reputation and takes out that anger frequently on Zarin by keeping her in very, very tight limits. Her uncle, on the other hand, loves her as a daughter but is a henpecked husband. He lacks the gumption to stand up to his wife's many injustices toward Zarin. The family soon leaves for Jeddah, Saudi Arabia when the uncle lands a job in a meat packing factory. And Jeddah is where the bulk of the story takes place. The book begins with an accident which claims the lives of Zarin and her friend, Porus. From the death, the book travels backward in time and details Zarin's various struggles in her home and school, her reflections, and the lessons that she has learned; basically her entire life until that fatal moment. It's a well-written, easy-to-read book that moves at a fast pace. Having grown up in Saudi, it was nice (thrilling, even) to come across cultural terms and references that I was already familiar with and hadn't seen in a novel before.

2) Orphan Train by Christina Kline

This book has received many good reviews. The story alternates back and forth between the lives of two orphans, the elderly Vivian Daly and teenager, Molly Ayers. It starts off with Vivian, whose original name is Niamh (Neev) and the life of poverty that she and her family are facing in Ireland. With help from her grandparents, Niamh's family migrates to New York in the hopes for a better life: to live the American dream. Only, life is much harder in New York than it was in Ireland where at least Niamh was surrounded by the warmth and comfort of her grandparents and their home. Not long after their arrival, an accidental fire breaks out in the building and claims the lives of Niamh's parents and siblings. She is then sent to the Children's Aid, an organization which helps to place orphaned children into foster families. The book chronicles Niamh's journey as she is moved from one abusive household to the next until she finally arrives in a place that she can call a home and that is where she is given the name, Vivian. Fast-forward to the present....Vivian is a widow in her 90s who lives in a seaside mansion and employs 18-year-old Molly Ayers to help her clean out her attic. Little does Vivian know that Molly has agreed to the task because she needs to complete the community service hours mandated by social services for a petty theft that she had committed. It turns out that while cleaning the attic, there are very few things that Vivian wants to throw away. Many of the items hold sentimental value for her. This frustrates Molly in the beginning but as she spends more and more time with Vivian, she sees the parallels between Vivian's life struggles and her own. Molly, who avoids making emotional attachments with people, forms a bond with Vivian and she helps Vivian both find and reunite with members of her family.

Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

This is a quirky read that is set in England and is about introvert, Eleanor Oliphant. She lives in her own world so much so that she is oblivious to social cues and believes everyone else to be the "abnormal one"...and lacking in social graces. She thinks she has found the perfect guy, a famous singer, and sets out to make him her husband because she believes her Mummy would be very proud of her.....a mother that is institutionalized ...for something (I don't know what that is yet)...but it seems like "Mummy" committed some deed that led to social services taking charge of the placement and care of Eleanor.

I know that all 3 books seem to have a common thread or theme running through them...of kids being raised without parents. I did not quite plan it to be this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
                                Have made quite some headway on my reading list during the summer break. I've read the following books:

1) A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena

It's about a girl named Zarin Wadia whose Parsi mother runs away from her home to earn money for her impoverished family by dancing at a bar and marries a Hindu man that belongs to the underworld. If that didn't bring shame upon the family and render her an outcast in the community, to make matters worse the girl is orphaned when both of her parents are killed. Zarina is only 6-years-old when she is adopted by her mother's younger sister (aunt) and her husband whom have no children of their own. Zarin's aunt is a hard hearted woman who has never forgiven her older sister for tarnishing the family's reputation and takes out that anger frequently on Zarin by keeping her in very, very tight limits. Her uncle, on the other hand, loves her as a daughter but is a henpecked husband. He lacks the gumption to stand up to his wife's many injustices toward Zarin. The family soon leaves for Jeddah, Saudi Arabia when the uncle lands a job in a meat packing factory. And Jeddah is where the bulk of the story takes place. The book begins with an accident which claims the lives of Zarin and her friend, Porus. From the death, the book travels backward in time and details Zarin's various struggles in her home and school, her reflections, and the lessons that she has learned; basically her entire life until that fatal moment. It's a well-written, easy-to-read book that moves at a fast pace. Having grown up in Saudi, it was nice (thrilling, even) to come across cultural terms and references that I was already familiar with and hadn't seen in a novel before.

2) Orphan Train by Christina Kline

This book has received many good reviews. The story alternates back and forth between the lives of two orphans, the elderly Vivian Daly and teenager, Molly Ayers. It starts off with Vivian, whose original name is Niamh (Neev) and the life of poverty that she and her family are facing in Ireland. With help from her grandparents, Niamh's family migrates to New York in the hopes for a better life: to live the American dream. Only, life is much harder in New York than it was in Ireland where at least Niamh was surrounded by the warmth and comfort of her grandparents and their home. Not long after their arrival, an accidental fire breaks out in the building and claims the lives of Niamh's parents and siblings. She is then sent to the Children's Aid, an organization which helps to place orphaned children into foster families. The book chronicles Niamh's journey as she is moved from one abusive household to the next until she finally arrives in a place that she can call a home and that is where she is given the name, Vivian. Fast-forward to the present....Vivian is a widow in her 90s who lives in a seaside mansion and employs 18-year-old Molly Ayers to help her clean out her attic. Little does Vivian know that Molly has agreed to the task because she needs to complete the community service hours mandated by social services for a petty theft that she had committed. It turns out that while cleaning the attic, there are very few things that Vivian wants to throw away. Many of the items hold sentimental value for her. This frustrates Molly in the beginning but as she spends more and more time with Vivian, she sees the parallels between Vivian's life struggles and her own. Molly, who avoids making emotional attachments with people, forms a bond with Vivian and she helps Vivian both find and reunite with members of her family.

Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

This is a quirky read that is set in England and is about introvert, Eleanor Oliphant. She lives in her own world so much so that she is oblivious to social cues and believes everyone else to be the "abnormal one"...and lacking in social graces. She thinks she has found the perfect guy, a famous singer, and sets out to make him her husband because she believes her Mummy would be very proud of her.....a mother that is institutionalized ...for something (I don't know what that is yet)...but it seems like "Mummy" committed some deed that led to social services taking charge of the placement and care of Eleanor.

I know that all 3 books seem to have a common thread or theme running through them...of kids being raised without parents. I did not quite plan it to be this way.
                                You could have increased ur post count by spitting onto 3posts
                                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Working...
                                X