This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading?

Finished reading Something Blue. Starting on Pretty Girls. You've peaked my interest in Girl Last Seen [MENTION=70790]redvelvet[/MENTION]. I'm going to read that next!

Comment

Originally posted by PunjaBee View Post
      Finished reading Something Blue. Starting on Pretty Girls. You've peaked my interest in Girl Last Seen [MENTION=70790]redvelvet[/MENTION]. I'm going to read that next!
      Overall it was a good read. Towards the middle and especially toward the end it was easy to figure out who kidnapper was. There was one part which was really creepy. I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil it for you...but when she goes back to her abandoned, childhood house that's been broken down for years.....what she sees there...still creeps me out when I think about it. But that was the only scary part imo. Happy reading.

Comment

Currently reading The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I've read other books by her in the past but I haven't enjoyed them as much I have this one. I haven't finished it yet though.

Generally the fantasy genre doesn't really appeal to me. So, I couldn't get into Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Vampire stuff (with the exception of Twilight). But this is a beautifully written book. Susannah Owens is an elegant homemaker who lives with her psychiatrist-husband and their 3 teenaged children. Her ancestry includes the witches from the Salem Witch Trials and she has magic in her blood. She pretty much gave that life up for a life of normalcy and that is what she has always wanted for her 3 children. But from the days of their infancy, she noticed extraordinary things about each of them which signified that they, too, had inherited the same gift. She goes out of her way to hide this reality from her children and she enforces strange rules about the house: no wearing black, no red shoes, no pet cats, etc etc...which make the children suspicious and rebellious. With time they figure things out. One day the eldest of them, Franny, receives an invitation to spend the summer with her Aunt Isabelle as is the family tradition when one turns 17. Much to the protests of their mother, they end up going to Aunt Isabelle's house on the condition that they shall look after one another and promise to return to her. It is at Aunt Isabelle's house that Franny, Jet and Vincent learn about their abilities, their limitations, their family history, and the family curse which will cast its shadow upon their future dreams. Written in a spell-binding way!

Comment

LP and Sid_NY are freaking us out! True velvet?
          I am an atheist, but not a communist! I am a vulgarist, but not a radicalist! I am tame, but not idiotic!
          shingle of shingles!

Comment

Originally posted by LP View Post
            You like vampire stuff?
            Ji nahin LP Sadia Malik, nahin hain khoobsurat!
            I am an atheist, but not a communist! I am a vulgarist, but not a radicalist! I am tame, but not idiotic!
            shingle of shingles!

Comment

Originally posted by chapter 2 View Post
              Ji nahin LP Sadia Malik, nahin hain khoobsurat!
              I have no idea what you're talking about
              Life Is Too Short To Wake Up With Regrets.Love the people who treat you right & have compassion for the ones who don't.
              Half of a person's beauty comes from the tongue

Comment

So I finally finished "The Kite runner" by Khaled Hosseini.

Took forever, I know.

But I can easily put a partial blame on writer who takes a great story to some depressing phases that I had to put it away and took my sweet time in coming back to it.

Now what should be next? Any suggestions? [MENTION=81566]LP[/MENTION] @aqua70 @FreshBakedPi

Um.. preferably a little motivating theme will help.
                We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Strictly fiction [MENTION=64730]SID_NY[/MENTION]?
                  Our backs tell stories no books have the spine to carry - Rupi Kaur

Comment

Check out Five Carat Soul by James McBride. It's a collection of very amusing/ interesting short stories. For something with more meat maybe H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshBakedPi View Post
                      Strictly fiction @SID_NY?

Gracias.

Si, preferiblemente ficcion
                      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                        Gracias.

Si, preferiblemente ficcion
                        Got ya... that second one I recommended is a memoir of sorts so not fiction. First one is though!

If you like science fiction..... CLICK

Comment

^ Thanks. Not so nerd!

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                            ^ Thanks. Not so nerd!
                            I went in search of a nerd smiley lol!

Comment

Idk if you are into sci-fi [MENTION=64730]SID_NY[/MENTION] but a couple of months ago I read Star Surgeon by Alan E. Nourse, I came across it online and finished it pretty quick. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
                              Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua70 View Post
                                Idk if you are into sci-fi @SID_NY but a couple of months ago I read Star Surgeon by Alan E. Nourse, I came across it online and finished it pretty quick. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
                                Itna parha likha hota to yahan hota?!

Comment

Working...
                                X