X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading?

Originally posted by Southie View Post
    Now I want to know where Bernadette went.
    I'll tell you when I find out.
    I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
    Bite Me! -- Please
    I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

Started the year with 'The White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga - Man Booker Prizer winner for 2008. Its an interesting read with some good observation about life in Delhi, Bangalore and rural Bihar.

Now reading 'Chasing a Mirage: The Tragic Illusion of an Islamic State' by Tarek Fateh. Didn't know the writer, just came across with the writer due to a discussion on GS. The book is controversial and the writer is banned in Pakistan. Phir bhi paRhne main kia hai.
      We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Just finished reading "Firdous-e-Iblees".
        Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Comment

• Finished The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro... what a lovely read. It was so well-written, a bit slow... but there's a subtlety in the flow of the story (old-English butler thinking of his life thus far as he travels the English country) that just makes u feel warm. I liked it a lot.

Also finished The Dancing Girls of Lahore by Louise Brown... meh. Really sad stories of the women of Heera Mandi... but honestly a lot of it read as criticisms of Islam rather than the South Asian/Mughal culture that led to the creation of that area. And she makes sweeping generalizations about Pakistani society as a whole based on her interactions with at max ~50-60 people, all sex workers. So that bothered me a lot. Otherwise.. eye-opening and very sad.

Currently reading East of Eden.

Comment

I wonder whether the "Mughals" was really behind creation of "HM",
              Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

I'd love to know how you liked East of Eden
                I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
                Bite Me! -- Please
                I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

The last couple of months I read:

Gone Girl
                  Dark Places
                  Sharp Objects --- all 3 by Gillian Flynn, love her.

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica---LOVED
                  Dear Daughter------eh.

The daylight marriage

Right now in my queue is "The Forgotten Girls", Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica, and "Before I fall" whcih is YA but looked interesting enough.
                  Some of us are churails, and some of us wish we could be.

Comment

Originally posted by ~MuNiYa~ View Post
                    I'd love to know how you liked East of Eden
                    Finished it a couple of days ago with some difficulty, idk why though. I sped through the first 3 quarters of the book and the last bit (which i guess is the 'main' bit) was soooo hard. It was boring to get thru.

I have mixed feelings about the book - some of it is overly dependent on the Cain/Abel them; it's over-saturated at some points (probably why i felt like the last part of the book was so boring). And some parts just have me confused... i LOVED the bits with the Hamiltons... but I can't connect them to the overall story. Are they meant to highlight good vs evil? The good vs evil theme is also kind of annoying - Cathy is pure evil vs Adam's pure goodness.... why was Cathy so evil?

I liked it overall, I guess. The story is fine, the writing is lovely... it was on my book list as a classic to read, so yeah.

Comment

Finished Intizar Hussain's 'Basti'. My first novel of the legend. I quite liked his writing. Will look for his more work.

@~MuNiYa~ If you want to read some good Urdu literature (translated in English) then go for Intizar Hussain's following books:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13531502-basti

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...h-of-sheherzad

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...&from_search=1

These books adds a lot to your knowledge about Pakistan's culture and history.

I'm now reading 'Aakhri Zamana' by Amna Mufti (The TV writer who penned epic Ullo Barae Farokht Nahin and now Pret na Kariyo koi). The novel is intense and again traces the basis of fundamentalism in Pakistan from 1970s till Laal Masjid incident.
                      We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

the goldfinch. loving it. It is a book lengthy enough to enjoy, to lose yourself in the story.
                        I'm sarcastic because it is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Comment

I was perusing online. I find Canadian boys hot!
                          I am an atheist, but not a communist! I am a vulgarist, but not a radicalist! I am tame, but not idiotic!
                          shingle of shingles!

Comment

Pursuing?
                            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

I was googling!
                              Last edited by chapter 2; Mar 4th, 2016, 08:00 PM.
                              I am an atheist, but not a communist! I am a vulgarist, but not a radicalist! I am tame, but not idiotic!
                              shingle of shingles!

Comment

Sorry I asked!
                                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Working...
                                X