This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading?

'No god but God - The Origins , Evolution , and Future of Islam' by Reza Aslan
    We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

^^ excellent book Muqa - I was initially turned of by the beginning but plug away it gets really good and comes full circle.

I'm reading (and absolutely loving) Jane Eyre.
      I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
      Bite Me! -- Please
      I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

I also jumped on to chapter relating to Sufism after introduction.
        We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

I read the first few; later I found like it came in handy explaining the religion to a non-Muslim.
          Although from a religious POV I didn't like his explanations; but it was very beneficial to know the beginning of Islam through a more practical eye.
          I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
          Bite Me! -- Please
          I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

i'm reading again: "bid'aat".
            Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
            16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Originally posted by Khalil KhaaN FaaKhta View Post
              i'm reading again: "bid'aat".
              As if first dose was not enough

Comment

Originally posted by ~MuNiYa~ View Post
                I read the first few; later I found like it came in handy explaining the religion to a non-Muslim.
                Although from a religious POV I didn't like his explanations; but it was very beneficial to know the beginning of Islam through a more practical eye.
                I found his explanations quite shallow at some points. At one place in intro he says:

"While the Quran, for reasons that will become clear, tells us very little about Muhammad’s life (indeed, Muhammad is rarely mentioned in it), it is invaluable in revealing the ideology of the Muslim faith in its infancy: that is, before the faith became a religion, before the religion became an institution."

This really creates doubts, whether he has studied Quran in detail. A brief study of Tafseer e Quran reveals that it revolves around the life of the Prophet. It talks about his childhood, his struggle, migration, marriages.. even discusses personal life.

This is my initial perception of the writer.. But as you mention its an explanation to non-Muslims, so I've to go through the book before passing final comments.

Comment

Originally posted by muqawwee123 View Post
                  As if first dose was not enough
                  it's never enough...you always learn something new when you read it again. you think more about what you read on the second go...don't you agree?
                  Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!

Comment

Imran Series-sangeen Jurm
                    پورا مسلمان خود نہیں اور مجھے کافر کہتا ہے

Comment

Originally posted by Khalil KhaaN FaaKhta View Post
                      it's never enough...you always learn something new when you read it again. you think more about what you read on the second go...don't you agree?
                      yes its always a new experience to read a book, but I think 'Biddah' is such a controversial topic that thinking on it again and again is futile exercise. I would rather follow' apna aqeeda choRo nahi, doosron ka aqeeda cheRo nahin' philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by Dhoti Main Dhamaka View Post
                        Imran Series-sangeen Jurm
                        Punjabi Sangeen film Have they ever made a movie on Imran series? heard that there was a drama series on it.

Comment

Punjabi Sangeen film Have they ever made a movie on Imran series? heard that there was a drama series on it.
                          haha app bohat jokelay hain bhai jan
                          je jis dn umaira ahmad nay likhna shuru ki imran series drama film bhee ban jani hai

Comment

Originally posted by Dhoti Main Dhamaka View Post
                            haha app bohat jokelay hain bhai jan
                            je jis dn umaira ahmad nay likhna shuru ki imran series drama film bhee ban jani hai
                            For your information, Umera now writes dramas only and forgot to write novels. She tried to write a novel Aks, per kisi ke palle kuch nahin paRa

Comment

^^mere taraf saay woh rikshay kay peechay shair likhay...saday palLay fair v kuj nai pana

Comment

yes its always a new experience to read a book, but I think 'Biddah' is such a controversial topic that thinking on it again and again is futile exercise. I would rather follow' apna aqeeda choRo nahi, doosron ka aqeeda cheRo nahin' philosophy
                                well, i think following a wrong path will NOT lead anyone to his manzil...it's one's religious duty to find the 'siraat ul mustaqeem' and bid'a doesn't ledas the path away from the right path...

...Khair!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X