Haleem in Muharram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haleem in Muharram

May people have this culture of making haleem in Muharram. Dont think it has anything to do with religion.

Some make in their homes

Some make collectively in their mohalla or community. Do you or have you followed any such tradition?

#Yummy
    My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
    "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Nope we do not follow such traditions, like doing things at a specific time every year... But yes i had haleem yesterday from "chachay da hotel" when i was coming back from work... it was good.
    So verily... with every difficulty, there is relief. Al-Quran 94 : 5-6

Comment

If I'm not wrong, Haleem is BIG in many cities of Pakistan specially during these days.

Atleast in Karachi, its a very common thing to have each street or neighborhood youth collect donations from homes, make haleem in one corner on a certain night which is usually 10 muharram night but it can be anyone. And then next morning distributing it in all houses who contributed. Fun fun.
      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

• redvelvet
        redvelvet commented
        Editing a comment
        That's interesting. I did not know about this. Maybe it varies depending upon what region of Pakistan.

There are no such traditions in my family for the month of Muharram. The only food traditions that come to mind are fruit chaat during Ramzan and saviyyan for Eid,

Actually i've a lot of Indian hyderabadi friends and they told me something more interesting. They say that over there haleem is the integral component in Ramadhan all over. Every street, every dhaba, every other house has haleem and they send all across their neighbors.
      Even many of my hindu friends from there remind me every year that its Ramadhan and i'm supposed to bring haleem for them. (Not the beef one).

So may be its a regional thing
      We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Haleem is basically Persian and Arabic dish - alleged to be have been originated by villagers who didi burials of Kerbala martyrs as they cooked - this dish of all grains and meat for themselves while doing the rituals.

One gets plenty of pre packed haleem in Turkish and Iranian shops.

It was spiced as it arrived in the sub-continent as did the other dishes such as kebab, kofta and pulao!

I brought up a mohallah of Karachi where these traditions were very strong (still they are ) - we used to get haleem every Friday for whole of two months of Moharram and Safar!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	persian haleem.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	16640213
          Attached Files

Comment

I like haleem very much but i donot follow specific time like a traditon

Comment

Haleem is a Karachi thing

Punjab is usually meethay and namkeen chawaal

Sharbat is more popular

Comment

Nazro Niyaz was the reason of making haleem....

Pinid boys are not behind....

RAWALPINDI: The narrow streets of the downtown areas, especially in Bhabara Bazaar, Chittian Hattian, Bani Chowk and Saddar bazaar, have many caterers? shops which are especially busy during Muharram.

They prepare special foods for distributing among passersby and participants of mourning processions as niaz.

The caterers cook the food in large cauldrons placed on fires fed by wood. The food is prepared right on the streets and only some of the caterers have special areas for cooking.

Many dishes are prepared for niaz including haleem, chickpeas and rice, chicken rice and kheer though haleem is the more popular dish for niaz.

People make the dish at home as well for distributing among neighbours, family and participants of the mourning processions.

Haleem is made with various pulses, spices, chicken or beef and wheat all of which are cooked on slow heat for several hours and is served with naan.

The haleem is garnished with chopped green chillies, diced ginger, fried onions and slivers of lemon.

Haleem is also served year long at various restaurants, which also see an increase in demand for the dish during Muharram.

?We make haleem every day but demand increases during Muharram and we try to prepare beforehand for niaz,? said Mohammad Javed, the owner of a restaurant in Saddar.

He said most people preferred the beef haleem.

?Making haleem is not easy and requires time and patience. The pulses, wheat and meat are boiled separately and them mixed and cooked together for a few hours till it becomes a thick paste,? he said.

For many, haleem is a complete meal and should be had with a spoon and for others the dish is not complete without a naan or a kulcha.

?I always like to go to the haleem shops in Saddar and Kartarpura where they make the perfect haleem. In some shops, the chefs boil pulses and add the leftover chicken, so one should know where they use quality ingredients,? said a resident of Saddar Bazaar, Mohammad Israr.

He said haleem was made in homes in the past but now people prefer to get it from restaurants.

?People call caterers to their homes during Muharram and provide them all the ingredients for haleem which they make outside the house,? he said.

A resident of Sarafa Bazaar, Sajjad Ali said many shops near to where he lives are famous for serving the best haleem.

?We do not make the dish at home and always get takeaway from the nearby restaurants,? he said.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1359864

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
                  Haleem is a Karachi thing

Punjab is usually meethay and namkeen chawaal

Sharbat is more popular

No its still there in some parts of Punjab.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post
                    Nope we do not follow such traditions, like doing things at a specific time every year... But yes i had haleem yesterday from "chachay da hotel" when i was coming back from work... it was good.
                    Check out in Satellite town near Ali Masjid. They all cook it together

Comment

Working...
                    X